local TV what antenna?

Page 1 of 2
We have 4 TVs in the house connected to satellite. We have another, a Sanyo, on which we would like to be able to watch local TV (we live near Memphis). Can someone recommend an antenna for us? Many thanks, Jackie Davidson
On Sun, 7 Oct 2007 17:11:03 -0500, "J. Davidson"

Just the site for you. Welcome to AntennaWeb.org
http://www.checkhd.com/aw/welcome.aspx
-- Oren
Thank you very much! I sincerely appreciate it. Jackie
wrote:

who really loves it."
On Sun, 7 Oct 2007 17:45:37 -0500, "J. Davidson"

Better! The site helps identify broadcast and takes into account mountain ranges.
You should be able to buy locally; any antenna you need for a single TV.
Good Luck.
-- Oren
Oren wrote:

Try cheapest solution first- rabbit ears. Radio Shack, or even local thrift store. If all the stations you want are within 20 miles or so, they may work well enough.
aem sends...

Rabbit ears will even receive the local HDTV signals. :-)
-- Oren

This site just confirmed why I have cable. Nearest stations to me are 28 miles, most are 40, but the ones in my state that I prefer to watch are all over 50 miles.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Oh to have even one _within_ 60 miles!!!

I have a "special circumsance" in that the Potomac River sort of acts like a "wave guide" but I get VERY good reception of Washington DC stations and "pretty good" reception of Baltimore stations with a roof top antenna from our home in King George, VA. The distances are 40 miles or a bit longer.
I have a "rotator" but with a swing of 30 degress it doesn't make much difference to we just set it up and leave it alone.
The basic set up is a "tripod" on top of the roof with a 6' mast holding the rotator which holds up a second 6' mast with the antenna. The antenna has something on the order of 20 elements. Generaly speaking, you want the antenna as high as you can get it. My "rig" survived Isabel. That storm knocked out power for most of the county for almost a week. Other storms have knocked down trees on our property but the antenna still has all its little rods, etc.
During the early morning we sometimes pick up stations in Pennsylvania.

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

That's a problem in the hilly northeast, not so much in the flatter parts of the country.

As part of the overall consideration, I'd factor in that NTSC broadcasting over the air is scheduled to be turned off in less than 18 months. So, at that point, you'd need an antenna appropriate to received digital, as well as a TV with an ATSC tuner or an external ATSC tuner/converter to use with older TVs.
Antennaweb.org has lots of good info.
wrote in message

Your points regarding the February 17, 2009 turn off date for analog broadcasts are timely.
This FCC site has a wealth of information about the transition: http://www.dtv.gov/index.html
That said I must say that at least in my case, a modest standard UHF antenna does a great job. I'm 44 miles from most of my OTA (over-the-air) stations. I have a modest (6' to 8') VHF/UHF directional antenna without a rotor mounted 4 feet above my flat roof about 12 feet above ground level. Digital signals are all crystal clear; the worse signal registers 78% signal strength, most approach 100%. On the other hand the analog signals are generally poor to mediocre. Admittedly that rating is relative to the digital reception : ) Another thing your cable and satellite providers don't want you to know is that the OTA signals will generally provide the best reception. It's either straight from the source to your antenna or you don't get it at all. That is, it's either received or not --- discounting very infrequent pixelation. I receive over 20 HDTV channels via Dish network and previously got them via Cox cable so this is not hearsay. Side-by-side, my OTA reception is noticeable better --- even at 44 miles!
Bottom line: don't be sold on "Special HDTV" antennas being pushed by too many vendors. And yes, rabbit ears may well be more than adequate.
Just my 25 cents : )

That would be a problem if there was anything worth watching on OTA TV. I have cable, mostly because my work pays for the cable modem and the package isn't a lot more, and even with cable there are only about three channels I watch with any regularity.
wrote in message

My, my!
Evidently you don't enjoy any sports broadcasts. And any PBS broadcasts such as the recent excellent Ken Burns series "The War." And you could care less about what's going on locally via your local news broadcasts. And all this for free!
I do however agree that most prime network broadcasts are crap and unfortunately getting worse all the time -- if that's really possible. Also, I refuse to watch the biased and sensationalized (both sides) prime-time national news broadcasts. I get better and more timely information via the internet. Sigh....
DonC wrote:

Nope, never cared about sports.

In recent years the few good PBS programs have been overshadowed by a good deal of crap, and much of what used to be good on PBS has been taken over by commercial networks (chiefly Discovery Networks) that do a better job with them anyway.

There is little locally of relevance to me.

Not free when you consider the cost of an adapter or new TV.

Yep, broadcast TV as it used to be known is dead and just hasn't been buried yet. The same is true for newspapers and mainstream magazines.
On Mon, 08 Oct 2007 09:20:28 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

The same antenna that works with analog will work with digital.

Mark Lloyd
On Mon, 08 Oct 2007 12:29:57 -0500, Mark Lloyd

The thread reminds me that I need to check a PC TV tuner.

He liked French ladies as an Ambassador :)
-- Oren
"I didnt say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you."

Oh, really? If he installs a VHF antenna for NTSC, which is apparently what he want to watch right now, it's gonna work with digital ATSC, most of which is UHF? Afraid not! Plus in some parts of the country, the transmitters for the 2 can be in different locations. I don't think he wants to mount a VHF antenna, only to find out in a year and a half that he needs UHF and the place he mounted the mast is blocked from the direction of the ATSC transmitter?
That's why I suggested antennaweb.org, so he can get it right.

On Tue, 09 Oct 2007 11:45:27 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

The difference between VHF and UHF is NOT the difference between analog and digital I was discussing. There is still no such thing as a "digital antenna".

Never heard of aiming?

Many antennas have both VHF and UHF. Anyway, nothing to do with the difference between analog and digital.

Good idea. Still there's no difference in antennas for analog of digital.

Mark Lloyd

Whatever anyone is selling on Craigslist
http://memphis.craigslist.org /