Load Snow Blower into SUV

Page 2 of 2

OK, now where do I find one of those? ;}

Probably right next to the lawn equiptment you might need to load...Just a guess...Try their website...
On Sun, 03 Jan 2010 17:30:33 -0600, Pete C. wrote:

They work great. Using 2x12s I can drive my lawn tractor onto the truck bed. Will clearly handle any snow blower I've ever seen.
Bernie Hunt wrote the following:

Is this something that you may have to do often, like taking the blower over to Mom's house after every snowfall? If so, you may want to invest in a set of ramps especially designed for that use. They can also be used to slide that large appliance into the SUV. http://www.jcwhitney.com/jcwhitney/textsearch_result.jcw?sku=ramps&shopid 0001&_requestid!49634
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

http://www.jcwhitney.com/jcwhitney/textsearch_result.jcw?sku=ramps&shopid 0001&_requestid!49634

It is 10 degrees so there will be no pictures.
I built a home made ramp to load and unload about the same weight in the form of a shredder.
I used 2 2x4 about 60" long with angle cuts so that the vertical cut matched the bumper. That was 45 degrees or less. And a horizontal cut at the ground to seat it flat 120+ degrees.
Added a piece of 1/2" plywood (width about 6-8" greater than your wheel span) keeping the 2xs no more than 24" apart. Mine are not at the edge of the board.
The final step is to add 2 4x4 or 5x5 angle irons to the exposed vertical edge (bumper part) of the 2x4. The one side of the angle is securely attached to the 2x and the other can rest on the bed of your truck. This way you have no hump to jump when rolling on or off.
That was 10 years ago and the shredder is long since gone but my back still enjoys the use of the ramp when I need to mow a rental property lawn and don't have a helper to load the mower.
We used that ramp this summer to load a 6 cubic foot wheelbarrow full of dirt and almost full of rock quite a few times.
I will try to remember to write this up as an article when I can take pictures (think Spring).
--
Colbyt
On Sun, 3 Jan 2010 17:52:27 -0500, "Bernie Hunt"

the hitch. Mine doesn't pivot, but ones that do are available. Tilt, load, and latch.

To make ramps for loading a riding mower into my enclosed trailer, I screwed a 4 x 4 to the bottom of a 2 x 6, all scrap that I had lying around. I left enough room at both ends so the the 4 x 4's don't hit the ground or trailer lip.
I beveled the underside of the ends that hit the ground so that the wheels don't push the boards when loading, and I rounded the top side of the ends that are in the trailer so the mower rolls on and off the ramps smoothly.
With the 4 x 4 attached, there is absolutely no flex in the ramps.
Granted, the lip of my trailer is probably lower than the bumper of your SUV, but I used the same ramps to load and unload a 100' power snake in a minivan.
Yes, the ramps weigh a bit more than they need to, but they work and they were free.
nice ramps at Harbor Freight for around 50 bucks..

And with a 20% off coupon, only $40. I bought a pair a week ago, nice ramps.
http://www.harborfreight.com/hftusa/magpromos/popsci.pdf
Back up to a "snowbank" and run the machine up on it and into the truck

I don't know what your bumpers look like exactly, but maybe a wide angle iron at the bumber end of each 2x12, so the end can fit between the bumper and the back of the SUV. I would wrap the ends of the angle, or put a towel or something in that gap to avoid having them scrape the SUV.
I had ramps similar to the ones a few people posted, but they work with a pickup more than an SUV.
Reporting back the solution, in case someone runs across this in the future;
I went with a pair of Black Widow folding alluminum ramps. At 22lbs a piece they are easy to move around and fold up to fit inside the SUV. They are load rated at 600lbs each so there's no problem with the weight and I can walk up them after the blower. I used them in the storm this last week and they worked out great.
I found them here; http://www.discountramps.com/dual-runner-atv-ramps.htm at $170 for the pair delivered.
Thanks to everyone for the help and suggestions.
Bernie

I recently had the exact same issue - I needed to bring my way-too-heavy snowblower back to the shop for a warranty repair.
I considered renting ramps from Home Depot, but eventually went with these Harbor Freight ramps: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber513 They list for $89 but with 20% off, I ended up getting them for a little over $70.
The nice thing is that they are tri-fold so that they fold up to a compact 26" long and include an integral carrying handle.
They are rated at 1000 lbs (500 lb each ramp) vs. 1200 lbs (600 per ramp) for your model. Also the ramps are a a little shorter and narrower at 75" x 9". Also, a bit heavier at 33lbs each since they are steel.
Quality seems quite good. Also, just for the metal alone, $70 for 66 lbs of steel seemed like a good price ;) jk