Load Snow Blower into SUV

I have a trailer hitch on my PT Cruiser and a platform that fits on the hitch. Mine doesn't pivot, but ones that do are available. Tilt, load, and latch.

Reply to
clare

Probably right next to the lawn equiptment you might need to load...Just a guess...Try their website...

Reply to
benick

OK, now where do I find one of those? ;}

Reply to
Bernie Hunt

Prop up the back end of the boards on a box, sawhorse, upturned garbage can, whatever to make them about level. Once you get the blower out a little ways, remove the prop and lower the board to the ground. I've done this many times with both my snow blower and my chipper, which is heavier and doesn't roll as easily. The boards I use are 10 footers.

Reply to
salty

I said 2x12, not 2x8. Big difference!

Reply to
salty

snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

See if this would be something to make:

googled and found a ramp kit:

Noahbuddy

To make ramps for loading a riding mower into my enclosed trailer, I screwed a 4 x 4 to the bottom of a 2 x 6, all scrap that I had lying around. I left enough room at both ends so the the 4 x 4's don't hit the ground or trailer lip.

I beveled the underside of the ends that hit the ground so that the wheels don't push the boards when loading, and I rounded the top side of the ends that are in the trailer so the mower rolls on and off the ramps smoothly.

With the 4 x 4 attached, there is absolutely no flex in the ramps.

Granted, the lip of my trailer is probably lower than the bumper of your SUV, but I used the same ramps to load and unload a 100' power snake in a minivan.

Yes, the ramps weigh a bit more than they need to, but they work and they were free.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

nice ramps at Harbor Freight for around 50 bucks..

Reply to
mike_0_007

And with a 20% off coupon, only $40. I bought a pair a week ago, nice ramps.

Steve N.

Back up to a "snowbank" and run the machine up on it and into the truck

Reply to
Rudy

I don't know what your bumpers look like exactly, but maybe a wide angle iron at the bumber end of each 2x12, so the end can fit between the bumper and the back of the SUV. I would wrap the ends of the angle, or put a towel or something in that gap to avoid having them scrape the SUV.

I had ramps similar to the ones a few people posted, but they work with a pickup more than an SUV.

Reply to
celticsoc

They work great. Using 2x12s I can drive my lawn tractor onto the truck bed. Will clearly handle any snow blower I've ever seen.

Reply to
Jim

Reporting back the solution, in case someone runs across this in the future;

I went with a pair of Black Widow folding alluminum ramps. At 22lbs a piece they are easy to move around and fold up to fit inside the SUV. They are load rated at 600lbs each so there's no problem with the weight and I can walk up them after the blower. I used them in the storm this last week and they worked out great.

I found them here;

$170 for the pair delivered.

Thanks to everyone for the help and suggestions.

Bernie

Reply to
Bernie Hunt

I recently had the exact same issue - I needed to bring my way-too-heavy snowblower back to the shop for a warranty repair.

I considered renting ramps from Home Depot, but eventually went with these Harbor Freight ramps:

list for $89 but with 20% off, I ended up getting them for a little over $70.

The nice thing is that they are tri-fold so that they fold up to a compact 26" long and include an integral carrying handle.

They are rated at 1000 lbs (500 lb each ramp) vs. 1200 lbs (600 per ramp) for your model. Also the ramps are a a little shorter and narrower at

75" x 9". Also, a bit heavier at 33lbs each since they are steel.

Quality seems quite good. Also, just for the metal alone, $70 for 66 lbs of steel seemed like a good price ;) jk

Reply to
blueman