Load Center Preferences

Page 1 of 2
Anyone care to state brand/type preferences for external, 200 amp residential load centers?
--
Thanks,
croy

On 10/27/2012 4:09 PM, croy wrote:

Siemens is the best but you can buy an imported knockoff for a lot less on fleabay.
croy wrote:

Square D QO series (not Homeline). It's a commercial grade panel for not much more money than the residential grade competition. Expect it to add about $100-150 to the cost for the panel and breakers, but it's worth it.

I second the Square D QO.
On 10/27/2012 5:59 PM, Pete C. wrote:

curious to know why you recommended QO...

Well, in MY opinion, the QO is the only "real" Square D. The homeline is Square D's redo of the Federal Pacific they bought out. Perhaps better than the old FP - but not up to the quality of the QO - which IS a residential panel that is commercial grade.

If I may add just a few advantages of the QO vs. HL, the QO breakers are 3/4" vs. the 1" for the Homeline. The QO panel uses a copper bus bar and the HL uses aluminum. The QO breakers are supposed to be one of the fastest tripping breakers on the market. I've heard horror stories of HL breakers burning up and/or melting. Overall, as you stated, it's a commercial grade for residential.
It's a one time install/upgrade. Spend the extra money, IMO, it's not that much.
On Oct 27, 6:02pm, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Ditto......
cheers Bob
On 10/27/2012 7:02 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

FPE was sold to Reliance Electric. Where did SquareD get into it? What little I have seen of Homeline they don't resemble FPE.
I do like SquareD QO.

I will pile on. The QO panel is the gold standard and really not even that much more expensive, particularly if you find a promotion with a bunch of breakers tossed in. There are internet suppliers that will make you a great deal.

On Sun, 28 Oct 2012 16:24:16 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

QO and Stab Loc have nothing on common
On Sun, 28 Oct 2012 18:43:43 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

was Federal Pacific. In Canada, Federal Pioneer. The products were different but interchangeable. The US stuff had more problems than the Canadian. Schneider in Canada no longer produces under the FP name. (as of late 2011 or early 2012) They have replaced the FP line with the Homeline product.
try to buy a load center with a mechanical lockout on main breaker for emergency generator operation.....
even if you dont need it the lockout could be useful in the future.
frankenstorm may convince more people to get emergency generators.

On 10/27/2012 9:02 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

"homeline" is Schneiders (the German owner since 1991 of what was square d) big box quality line.
Federal pacific isn't involved (except maybe being the original "builder quality" equipment manufacturer).

What's wrong with Homeline? That's what I have.
On Sun, 28 Oct 2012 17:02:48 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@online.com wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@online.com wrote:

It isn't QO or commercial grade. The Homeline line is more or less the same as GE, Bryant, etc.
On Sat, 27 Oct 2012 16:59:49 -0500, "Pete C."

Thanks, Pete. Just the kind of info I was hoping for.
--
croy