Load Center Preferences

Anyone care to state brand/type preferences for external,

200 amp residential load centers?
Reply to
croy

Siemens is the best but you can buy an imported knockoff for a lot less on fleabay.

Reply to
Willerd Mitt Remnoy

Square D QO series (not Homeline). It's a commercial grade panel for not much more money than the residential grade competition. Expect it to add about $100-150 to the cost for the panel and breakers, but it's worth it.

Reply to
Pete C.

I second the Square D QO.

Reply to
Meanie

curious to know why you recommended QO...

Reply to
Dusenberg

Well, in MY opinion, the QO is the only "real" Square D. The homeline is Square D's redo of the Federal Pacific they bought out. Perhaps better than the old FP - but not up to the quality of the QO - which IS a residential panel that is commercial grade.

Reply to
clare

If I may add just a few advantages of the QO vs. HL, the QO breakers are

3/4" vs. the 1" for the Homeline. The QO panel uses a copper bus bar and the HL uses aluminum. The QO breakers are supposed to be one of the fastest tripping breakers on the market. I've heard horror stories of HL breakers burning up and/or melting. Overall, as you stated, it's a commercial grade for residential.

It's a one time install/upgrade. Spend the extra money, IMO, it's not that much.

Reply to
Meanie

Ditto......

cheers Bob

Reply to
DD_BobK

Local retail stores will stock all sorts of breakers, GFCI, AFCI, whole house surge protectors, add-on ground bars, etc. for ONLY one or two brands of panels.

With that said, it is nice to buy a panel for which you can go to the store and get the add-on's you need. (Not have to order it.)

Reply to
Bill

Both Lowe's and 'Depot stock Square D QO panels and breakers. Most big box stores also stock GE and a number of other brands. Easy availability is not a reason to buy a low end panel, and in the case of Square D QO series it is readily available so the modes extra cost is the only potential decision factor.

Reply to
Pete C.

FPE was sold to Reliance Electric. Where did SquareD get into it? What little I have seen of Homeline they don't resemble FPE.

I do like SquareD QO.

Reply to
bud--

"homeline" is Schneiders (the German owner since 1991 of what was square d) big box quality line.

Federal pacific isn't involved (except maybe being the original "builder quality" equipment manufacturer).

Reply to
George

I will pile on. The QO panel is the gold standard and really not even that much more expensive, particularly if you find a promotion with a bunch of breakers tossed in. There are internet suppliers that will make you a great deal.

Reply to
gfretwell

From what I'm told in Canada Square D is the heir to the FPE fiasco.

Reply to
clare

Cheap minimum spec crap. Same as Fed

Reply to
clare

QO and Stab Loc have nothing on common

Reply to
gfretwell

From what I'm told in Canada Square D is the heir to the FPE fiasco.

Reply to
clare

What's wrong with Homeline? That's what I have.

Reply to
billtaylor8

Correct - BUT Schneider owns Fed Pioneer in Canada. In the USA it was Federal Pacific. In Canada, Federal Pioneer. The products were different but interchangeable. The US stuff had more problems than the Canadian. Schneider in Canada no longer produces under the FP name. (as of late 2011 or early 2012) They have replaced the FP line with the Homeline product.

Reply to
clare

try to buy a load center with a mechanical lockout on main breaker for emergency generator operation.....

even if you dont need it the lockout could be useful in the future.

frankenstorm may convince more people to get emergency generators.

Reply to
bob haller