Load Bearing? HELP

we want to tear a wall out to extend our living space. the wall is between a small room and the living room. we have a slab basement and a crawlspace attic (there is only one story) Also - the small room is very small - perhaps 6 feet wide. Saying that - about 6 feet back after this wall - is another wall. to the kitchen.

Would that be a load bearing wall when you consider the fact that only about 5-6 feet back is another interior wall?

Any help/advice appreciated.

Reply to
babygrljen1985

Can't see it from here. Not being able to see it, no one can give a sure answer.

If the wall is parallel to the roof joists, it is probably not, if it is perpendicular, it may be. but it takes a visual inspection to be sure. You may be able to tell better from the attic and also, if there are any pipes or wires in it.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

My house has a similar situation. It could be that the first wall is a bearing wall and the wall further back is not load bearing (or other way around). May need to tear off the drywall around the ceiling near the wall and have an experienced person look - also look in attic.

Reply to
Bill

As said, Just add a header and tear it out anyway.

Reply to
DK

No. Unless you're feeling very lucky. You need to be able to support all loads, under all conditions. So it needs to be done properly, or some people might be very unhappy with you: insurance carrier, building inspector, police.

HTH, J

Reply to
barry

DK!

There was a great article in Fine Homebuilding Mag sometime in 2005 doing what yoy want to do check it out!

I would go in the attic and see where the ceiling joists overlap and if they are on that wall then this is a load bearing wall - of course you could have a truss supported roof then oi may not be a load bearing wall. When in doubt spend a few $$ and get a structural eng out to tell you for sure and if it is he should be able to tell you how and what materials you'll need to take this wall out!

snipped-for-privacy@sme-> > On 25 Sep 2006 07:42:57 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote: > >

Reply to
Hank

Not true at all.

I have the intelligence to rip out any load bearing wall without any harm to the existing structure as do most all carpenters worth their salt.

I hate hearing "It can't be done" - Simply a code word for "I'm too stupid to do it".

. .
Reply to
DK

If "just add a header" is your idea of intelligence, I hope your don't work anywhere I'm likely to go.

It can be done by someone with the appropriate qualifications. Your above statement makes your qualifications questionable.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Daly

You dumb f*ck. You can't read either. I never used the word "header".

Reply to
DK

Yeah, right.

Mike