Living without a garbage disposal

Page 2 of 2

The wife use to yell at me for NOT using the disposal. I scrap as much as possible into the trash, and then clean the regular sink screen several times while rinsing the dishes before placing them in the DW. My theory is that what manages to wash thru the screen is probably as small as what the disposal was outputing any way. We've never had any problems with clogged pipes. The main secret is to let the water run a few seconds (and I mean seconds, not minutes) to ensure there is enough flow to wash the stuff on out of the trap and into the main line. Nothing I put down the kitchen sink compares in size to what I flush down after a good poop, so if the sewer system can handle a good load from the toilet, I doubt it will have a major problem with the stuff that sneaks down the drain from the kitchen!

What's a garbage disposal?
--
Best regards
Han

If you can start a compost pile for those items you normally put down the disposal, all the better. We have a garbage disposal but it is not used often.
Mike wrote:

This defiantly isn't for everyone but what I did,..... No garbage disposal, I cut the little cross bars out of the drain on one side of the two compartment sink. The waste line I drilled a hole through the outside wall, it gets better, then you guessed it, the kitchen sink drains on the ground outside! I've got a few pieces of plastic pipe and connect them longer or shorter and move them around when the mood hits me and it's been interesting. Greenest grass in the yard by far, the dog has learned to run outside when I'm cleaning pans because there might be some good grease coming out, and this year volunteer tomato plants are growing. I did dig some of the now nutrient rich dirt out and exchanged it with dirt from the garden. I've thought of making a little above ground septic tank and allow only "clear water" out and use a hose to run the water on out to the garden but I don't use that much water, dish washer is hooked in of course but I don't run it very often, maybe once every two weeks. Most dishes I just wash by hand. Sure makes for some nice rich soil.
thanks for the tip on the screens! The stoppers don't seem to work that well or just end up sealing the drain when I'm trying to pour something down. Sometimes I pour stuff in the back yard to keep it from clogging.
Spork wrote:

Chuckle- me, too. The juice from empty pickle jars with all the seeds, especially. I wipe the casserole pans I nuke chicken breasts in with a paper towel, to keep the grease out of the drains. I call it the chicken's revenge- that stuff likes to build up in the joints and elbows of a sink drain, and any other debris gets glued together.
-- aem sends...

Smart move and wise decision IMO. We similarly had one some 50 years ago because someone had given us a brand new one. We lived in trailer home at the time. One day the sewer blocked, we ran the disposer and a plume of kitchen leftovers and dish-washing water went high in the air above the trailer! And then 'splat'. In the two regular homes we have built and lived in since, both initially on septic tank/disposal fields we didn't bother with what seems to be an unnecessary and possibly environmentally unfriendly gadget, which inevitably requires further maintenance!