Living without a garbage disposal

Page 1 of 2

A month or so ago I made a post here about my broken in-sink garbage disposal. A good number of replies to that post were from people who do not use a garbage disposal. Well, for a couple reasons, I have decided not to replace my disposal for the time being. Instead, I bought a $3 sink screen. It's taken a little while to get used to living w/o the disposal (breaking the habit of scraping left-over food into the sink before placing the dishes in the dishwasher, etc.), but it's working just fine and we don't really miss the disposal now.
Anyway, thanks to the good folks here at AHR for the idea!
Mike
Mike wrote:

Your callous, self-centered disregard of our precious environment has been noted and duly reported...

Much obliged.
Mike
By all means, enjoy scraping gunk, scum, and crud out of the the drain with your fingers several times a day.
How delightful.

The little screen that sits in the drain catches the gunk, scum, and crud (and Cheerios). I just tap it into the garbage can in the evening. Not a big deal.
Thanks for your interest.
Mike

And the stuff that goes past the lip and gets deposited underneath? Do you just hope it decomposes after a few months?
Further, your little drain basket only holds a tiny amount. When you produce larger amounts of waste than the basket can hold, you get to scoop and scrape crap out of the sink with your hands.
I know, I know, you do all your peeling and food prep in the garbage can.

re: "I just tap it into the garbage can in the evening."
Then I go back to the sink and rinse what didn't come off down the drain. I'll be back asking for a disposal recommendations in a few months.
Ta-Ta for now.

LOL.
DerbyDad03 wrote:

Lack of a disposal hasn't been a problem in the five years I've been in this house. I thought I would miss it, after having one for 25 years, but I barely noticed it. If I was building or remodeling, I'd probably put one in, but it is near the bottom of the list of stuff to refresh or add around here. In all odds, it will be the next owner's problem.
I bought one of those little mesh screens for my sister last time I visited, because even with a high-end disposal, her exuberant food prep habits led to the thing being jammed 2-3 times a week. Seeds, silverware, bits of food processors, etc. Me, I'm just careful, and peel my veggies over the trash can. And no, it doesn't stink.
--
aem sends...

aemeijers wrote:

I'm with you....never had a disposal until I moved to Florida. I think they are more trouble than they are worth. If I had a garden, I'd compost some stuff. There is very little that goes into our disposal that would not be just as easy to put in the trash. I learned the hard way that a load of potato peels put through the disposal choke the sewer :o) There is very little else in our home that could go into a disposal but not straight down the drain.

re: Seeds, silverware, bits of food processors, etc.
Can't speak to seeds as they've never been a problem in my disposal.
As to silverware and bits of food processors, etc. they quit being a problem as soon as I installed an InSinkErator.
The rubber drain cover is designed to stop items from sliding down the drain.
My old Kenmore was notorious for letting items go down the drain, and it's design was so poor that it made things even worse as it got older. The Kenmore's rubber cover installed between the disposal and the sink - it was not removable. To get things out of the disposal, you had to force your hand into the disposal, past the cover, which eventually wore it out and ripped it. I just replaced my mom's Kenmore and her cover looked just like my old one did - ripped and tattered.
Once it was ripped, you could drop a can of peas down the the hole!
The InSinkErator designed their cover to be easily removable by the user which means it will be easy to replace if it ever gets damaged - but I don't how it could be since you never have to force your hand through it. You just pop it out of the drain if you want to remove it.
In addition, it's sound reducing baffles let the water and debris flow through, but you would have to physically push a utensil or "bits of food processors" past them to get them down the drain. It really is an ingenious design.
Maybe you could buy one of these for your sister and see if it fit's her sink:
http://www.repairclinic.com/SSPartDetail.aspx?s=b99a2i916339&PartID=916339

Only if you're a wasteful slob.
1. Eat the food on your plate. If you find your plate is still half full when you're done eating on a regular basis, you may be cooking too much food. Cook less, or take less from the serving dish and put the rest in the fridge for leftovers tomorrow. 2. Scrape off what little is left into the trash. If you find that you are scraping large amounts of food into the trash on a regular basis, see #1. 3. All that's left should be liquid, such as meat juice, a bit of stray ketchup or worcestershire sauce, maybe some melted ice cream after dessert. This will dissolve in the spray from the sink faucet and go right down the drain. No gunk, no scum, no crud. 4. Food cay be peeled and prepped over the sink, using the sink as a catch-basin for peelings and scraps. These peelings should be transferred to the trash as soon as preparation is complete. You are transferring FRESH vegetable peelings, egg shells, meat trimmings. Again, no gunk, no scum, no crud. Come on, you just had your hands on these items not more than a few minutes ago... How "icky" could they have possibly gotten in that little bit of time?
I've gotten by for 34 of the last 36 years with no garbage disposal, and have never, not once, run into this contrived problem. The two years I had a garbage disposal, it was nice, when it worked. Roommate kept dropping shot glasses down it and turning it on.
On Jun 9, 8:07am, snipped-for-privacy@rochester.rr.com wrote:

1. You've never had kids apparently. Plus, some things just stick to food prep bowls and utensils. Water just cleans things faster.
2. Bend over the trash scraping all night? No thanks. My back will thank me. Besides, there's more to spill, and not all things just scrape off. Some things have to be scoured off with hot water, and detergent in the sink.
3. See #2. Certain things adhere to cooking surfaces more tenaciously, such a certain rice dishes, melted cheese, or broiled dishes. And again, water flushes debris off faster.
4. Why peel, and then painstakingly transfer every last bit slop? How slooooooow. People don't want to use their fingers to transfer slop not only because of rotten or moldy discarded portions or peelings of food, but because of fresh meat juices and the possible bacterial contamination (salmonella, etc.) Plus there is just the ick factor of slimy, filthy discard, and the resultant unnecessary handwashing versus using a disposal.
Garbage disposals are a big time and money saver, and keep the kitchen cleaner and less smelly. Since I always buy a quality unit, I've have zero problems. If you've had maintence issues, maybe you should try a different make or model or realize that decades-old data is very dated.
On 6/9/2010 10:53 AM, mike wrote:

LMMFAO!!
--
Steve Barker

re: "Perhaps if you didn't eat "slimy, filthy" food, touching it wouldn't send you into a panic attack"
I'll mention that to the dogs. Wanna clean their bowls with your hands? ;-)

Why would you throw out dog food? Don't they eat it all? You must be feeding them shit. And why do you throw out vegetable peelings? Just put them in the compost pile.

Groundskeeper Willie? Is that you? I couldn't distinguish your Scottish accent via text! I always wondered why you cleared clogged toilets with your bare hands rather than using a plunger.
BTW, I don't eat rotten, moldy or slimy discarded portions of food. Do you? Does that make you feel manly?

For those who haven't seen the Simpson's:
Lisa: Oh, my God! These are the answers to the test. I don't wanna cheat. Nelson: Hey, hey! These are study aids. They're for novelty purposes only. If a few bad apples use them for cheating, I can't be held responsible. Lisa: Forget it, I'd rather get a zero. Groundskeeper Willy (with hand down toilet): Good fer you lass, I got me a zero once and ma' life turned oot just fine. Och, woa-ho, that's a nasty clog. Ooooo ye've got yourself a partner have ye ? Lisa (to Nelson): Keep the change. Groundskeeper Willy: Come here ye slippery rascals !
Mike wrote:

Barbarian.
On 6/7/2010 1:50 PM, Mike wrote:

A few years ago, we got by without replacing our broken one for a few months but eventually sink clogged and we got a new one. With septic, we seldom use it except when sink is slow to drain.