Living in house while adding second floor

A.Can we actually live in the house while a second floor is being added?

B. For how long are the furniture and goods inside the house exposed to the elements with the roof off, or incomplete seal to the outdoors from rain, or opossums (they like roof running here), or tree insects (we're under a tree canopy).

C. I'm terribly allergic to the dust, fumes, molds, whatevers of construction. We can arrange for me to temporarily live elsewhere for a fixed amount of time if need be. The problem is that all the additions I know of where the second floor is added, the timeline for construction goes completely wacko, and there's just no good estimate for the amount of time needed to move out. The planned schedule is often compounded by the fact that it's an "older house" 1930's, and therefore has "surprises" found during construction. What hope do I have of entering into a second floor addition over all or part of the house, and actually being able to move back in within months, instead of a year or more? It's a 1300 sq ft house. How big can the unexpected be?

D. I cannot have any cigarette smoking on the jobsite. Nor can we allow the workers to run music boxes outside to amuse themselves. Does anyone build this way?

E. Alternatively, we could limit the addition to an extension on the back of the house and not overhead. Is it realistic to think that I could live in the house for all but the last few weeks of construction when they break through the back wall?

Thanks for all your help. HouseDreamer

Reply to
HouseDreamer

You can't allow smoking in a house that will be wide opened? They can't listen to music? You're terribly allergic to everything and you want to stay there? Are you building this house in fantasy land? It's time for you to buy a new house that suits your needs.

Reply to
Pygoscelis Papua

Yes, no, maybe! It really depends on what the remodel entails.

That also depends, often it may be just a couple of days or a week, depending on the job involved.

Move out!

Not very realistic. As long as the house is open to the elements, what is the difference as far as smoking? As the house gets nearer completion then smoking can be restricted to outdoors only. With all the noise from hammers, powertools, what the hell is the problem with a radio or two! Construction sites are very noisy, if you want quiet, move out.

That my be a good idea!

I think you sig says it all! Housedreamer!! Greg

Reply to
Greg O

Uh, why? Do you want them to wear winter parkas in the summer heat as well? Are you intentionally trying to make things intolerable for them?

-Tim

Reply to
Tim Fischer