Little pruning shears and rivet

Small hand-held pruning shears ("loppers"?). Two halves held together with a spring and a rivet. Inexpensive, but it served well for some years.
Rivet has loosened up, unit tends to bind up instead of cutting. Wondering about possible repair.
I think I layed the shears flat and hammered the face of rivet last season to tighten it up. Didn't last long.
Pop the rivet out and try, say, a bolt and locking nut?
Other ideas? I hate to throw tools away ...
Thx, Peetie

I'd go with the nut & bolt idea. That's what real pruning shears use: http://www.felcostore.com/pruners.jsp
Good gardening stores carry Felco. Maybe go take a look at the exact arrangement of the hardware that holds them together. Better yet, buy a pair. You'll be so much happier.
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

For long term joy, get a hardened bolt and a wave washer from the auto supply and with a nylon-insert nut you'll have friction control as well.
I agree that the long term solution is the bolt/nut/washer deal, but I've repaired scissors by gently resetting the rivet. No reason you couldn't do that here. Just don't over do it, or it will bind up even worse!