Little pruning shears and rivet

Small hand-held pruning shears ("loppers"?). Two halves held together with a spring and a rivet. Inexpensive, but it served well for some years.

Rivet has loosened up, unit tends to bind up instead of cutting. Wondering about possible repair.

I think I layed the shears flat and hammered the face of rivet last season to tighten it up. Didn't last long.

Pop the rivet out and try, say, a bolt and locking nut?

Other ideas? I hate to throw tools away ...

Thx, Peetie

Reply to
Peetie Wheatstraw

I'd go with the nut & bolt idea. That's what real pruning shears use:

Good gardening stores carry Felco. Maybe go take a look at the exact arrangement of the hardware that holds them together. Better yet, buy a pair. You'll be so much happier.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

For long term joy, get a hardened bolt and a wave washer from the auto supply and with a nylon-insert nut you'll have friction control as well.

--

Reply to
dpb

I agree that the long term solution is the bolt/nut/washer deal, but I've repaired scissors by gently resetting the rivet. No reason you couldn't do that here. Just don't over do it, or it will bind up even worse!

Reply to
professorpaul