Little Giant ladders

Anyone familiar with the Little Giant-type foldable ladders? Are they as good and versatile as portrayed? I checked out a similar one at the store today and they seem awfully heavy, and thus unwieldy.
--
"I ain\'t evil, I\'m just good lookin\'..."

Versatile yes.
I checked out a similar one at the

You are right. How often will you use it? What will you be using it for?

Often? No, probably not often. Seems good for stairs and other awkward places, and can still be used for normal everyday stuff, too.
--
"I ain\'t evil, I\'m just good lookin\'..."

I should add that if it's too heavy and unwieldy, I'd be less inclined to use it much and might revert back to normal ladders most of the time, anyway. I just moved and need a new one, and was hoping this would kill several birds with one stone.
--
"I ain\'t evil, I\'m just good lookin\'..."

Check the archives, there have been a bunch of LG threads in here fairly recently.
I have the 6 foot model. It is quite heavy, and awkward, especially inside, but I still grab it most times instead of my 1A 6 foot fiberglass step ladder. The adjustability and flexibility is more useful than I ever imagined. Plus, it is easily the most stable and solid ladder I've ever used.
If you go for it, make sure you get the shelf/stand thing, and at least one of the adjustable leg leveler things. I wish they could find a way to build in the adjustable leg levelers into all four legs. or at least two of them. It is extremely handy for uneven terrain, but it's a bit of a pain to keep moving it from leg to leg as needed.
Check out the clones the big box stores sell. General concensus is that the clones are not quite as well made, but may be plenty good enough for occasional use, and they are way cheaper.
HTH,
Paul
They are heavy. I am not sure I would buy it again but it does come in handy.

Dave,
I just got the 22 foot Little Giant Type 1 ladder, about the same weight as the 17 foot type 1A ladder that they sell on TV.
I won't use it a lot, but for the few times a year I might use it, it was worth the money. The cheaper ones, which look the same, from Home Depot and Lowes, which are by Werner and Gorilla, are heavier. I wanted the lightest one for this size, and even though the cheaper ones were about 10lbs heavier, weight is everything. I already had an aluminum 28' extension ladder, and it was just hard to handle, although manageable.
I figure that it is the last ladder I'll ever buy, and 10lbs is a big deal when handling a ladder that big, so I went for the extra money and lighter weight.
No regrets.
Steve
Steve wrote:

I have had the same one they sell on TV for about 8 years now. It is heavy but watch how they carry it on TV, that is the right way with one arm thru the rungs. All my neighbors have cheap ladders that are deathtraps using them like they try to so mine gets borrowed when something serious needs to be done. The knockoffs I have seen one of them bend at the hinge pin...scary. Expensive but much less than any emergency room visit. Had a large gutter installed on my house. Workman had his ten foot stepladder which was pretty wobbly, I pulled mine out and offered it to him to use..Thought I would not get it back from him.

If I may ask, what did you pay for it? IIRC, the LG 17' version was about $360 (per the website), and a 16' 'knock-off' was about $190 at Menards.
--
"I ain\'t evil, I\'m just good lookin\'..."

plumbingandmore.com
I paid $319 delivered and it included 1 free accessory. Again, that was for the 22 foot, type 1.
I don't see how you can get it cheaper than that. Of course, the 17 foot type 1 ladder is cheaper, under $290.
Steve
i bought the home depot version called the gorilla ladder . it is heavy, but a very stable ladder... i say heavy for a step ladder ,but not really heavy for a 22ft ladder... i used it while remodeling a house and i like it. got on the roof, painted with it inside and out. and its tall enough to change bulbs in my garage 12 ft ceiling.didind do the scaffolding with it but it looks like it would be good for that. i think it was 165.00 .just go an try one out at the depot to see if you can handle it.those tv sales are allways twice what the thing is worth. lucas
The Dave, 11/9/2005,7:03:02 PM, wrote:

No comment about the Little Giant ladder, but you really should consider upgrading your version of Xananews. It's up to 1.17.6.6 now.
--
"If I can hit a curveball, why can\'t I hit a ball that is standing
still on a course?" -- Larry Nelson

One of the home inspectors I recently worked with had one. It seemed pretty darned versatile. His was actually a Little Giant, and I was impressed that it wasn't nearly as heavy as my folding ladder, and his was taller and more extendable to boot (mine doesn't extend--fixed length, heavy ass folding ladder).
-- Todd H. http://www.toddh.net /
I don't see how your folding ladder could be so heavy considering the little giant is two nested ladders in one.

The Dave wrote:

We use them in fire department practice and they are rather heavy. The only multi function ladder that I ever liked for electrical work was a combination eight foot step and sixteen foot extension ladder. It seemed to nicely bridge the gap between the twenty four foot extension ladders and the six foot step ladders.
--
Tom Horne

I picked up a 17' Cosco foldable at Sam's Club for $100. It was a nice ladder but so heavy that I ended up returning it.
Pat