Little fridge/freezer mystery

Amana 18 cu. foot fridge from 1984, freezer on top.
Carton of ice cream in freezer. On day 1, ice cream is hard, very difficult to spoon out. On day 2, ice cream is very soft, easy to spoon. On day 3, ice cream is hard again, as on day 1.
Carton is in same position in freezer. Basically, nothing changes. As far as I can tell, the thermostat is working OK.
What would cause this? Any idea??
Will
Wilfred Xavier Pickles wrote:

Automatic defrost cycle in the freezer.

Yep. They are on a 24 hour cycle in most cases. Some refrigerators have a way to adjust that so it happens when you are unlikely to want [soft] ice cream.
Otherwise, you can 'move' it by unplugging the fridge for an hour at a time until the cycle is where you want it. [I suppose that isn't true of all fridges-- but 1984 seems like about the vintage of one that I've done that with.]
Jim

Thanks go to LouB and Jim. And others.
I didn't think the defrost would let it get that soft. Wasn't a tiny dab, was about 1/2 of 56 oz carton, and it was very soft, close to runny. But, in the absence of other plausable explanations ...
Will
On Fri, 12 Aug 2011 14:17:34 -0500, Wilfred Xavier Pickles

Just to be sure-- see if it is soft at the same time every day. That should rule out other possibilities. It *could* be a relay going bad someplace, or an intermittent open somewhere in the circuitry.
Jim
LouB wrote:

And/or fan.
Wilfred Xavier Pickles wrote:

On topic, earlier this week while searching for something in our grossly disorganized top freezer fridge I noticed a can of Coke on the top shelf of the fridge section lying on its side against the back of the compartment. I noticed that the bottom of that can was bulging out.
I pulled it out and the found that can of Coke was frozen solid. Then I noticed a small bottle of apple juice, also lying on its side next to the Coke can was frozen solid too. My fridge thermometer lying inside one of the mid height drawers read 40 degrees eff, and the temperature of the other things in the fridge compartment felt "OK".
I've never seen anything freeze solid in a fridge compartment before, I'm assuming it's because they were lying right under where the fan blown air from the freezer compartment enters the fridge compartment.
Anyone agree?
Thanks guys,
Jeff
--