Little Balls on washer lid

I have a Maytag top load wash machine. The lid is held on by 2 little plastic balls. For those of you offended by the word "balls", small beads. Anyhow, when we moved the machine the lid got stuck in a doorway and it fell off. At the time I never noticed the 2 balls were missing that serve as a hinge for the lid. (Dontcha hate it when your balls are missing?). Anyhow, I get the washer to the new house and find they are gone, so the lid comes right off.. I went to a local appliance store and the guy said he could order them, but told me to go outside and look in the junk pile of old machines. I found a Maytag, and using a screwdriver I was able to pry out the balls. I chipped the porcelin when I pried on it, but didn't care on the junker. So now I got my two balls. How the heck do I get them back in with the lid so it hinges again?
Anyone ever done this?
Thanks
Mark
snipped-for-privacy@UNLISTED.com wrote:

Hi,
Doing and telling someone in text for are two different things!
Put a little vasoline on the balls so they stay in the dimples on the washer top panal. I am right handed so I push the lid against the left side ball to hold it in place first and then line up the right side of the lid with the right side ball and sharply hit the lid with my hand to push the lid over and onto the right side ball and into place. Hope this helps,
Never in a million years thought the answer to this one would be to put vasoline on your balls.
LOL
Sorry, couldn't resist.

I knew that one couldn't be left alone. :-)
Stretch

Yeah, but he should not let his young son play on the washer

When replacing an agitiator, don't forget to grease the shaft.
--
-john
wide-open at throttle dot info

Thanks for the advice, I will give it a try. As for the other replies on this thread, I am still laughing, while I put some vaseline on my balls !!! :)