Lithium Ion Drill Recommendation

Page 2 of 2

I'm now buying Rigid at HD because they will replace the batteries for free for life and the batteries are most of the cost of the tool.

--
a while ago HD had a pair of small 12v Li drivers for about $100. i\'ve been
happy with them. plenty of torque, small size to get in smaller places,

That was my thought when I bought the Ridgid 18v Drill/Impact Driver combo a few months back. I just returned the whole kit to HD (with a long session of bitching to the manager to get them to take it back). The batteries stopped holding a charge for very long, would self drain from sitting on the shelf for a week or so. Home Depot wanted me to go to some third party service to have the batteries repaired/replaced under the lifetime warranty. Place was only open Mon-Thurs from 9am to 4pm, and sorry, I have a day job, so that really wasn't an option.
I ended up convincing the HD manager to return the set, and purchased the Makita 18v Drill/Driver kit. I couldn't be more happy with it. The drill is considerably smaller than the Rigid was, but the batteries have twice the AmpHours - which is the most important factor in battery power. The impact driver will run 3" deck screws all day and not even blink. Right now, HD has a special going on where if you spend $300 on power tools, you get $75 instant rebate. Ended up spending $225 for the kit - a great deal.
The one time I was at a store, fixing a cooler. The glass guy had a cordless impact drill driver, which looked like it did a great job. I'm thinking it was Porter Cable 18 volt, but that was a couple weeks ago. He handed it to me, and it was very light weight.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

I suspect the roadster has a sophisticated battery monitor/charging circuit,probably much better than what a driver battery pack would have.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik