Lithium Battery Leak! Help!

Hi group. Both Maxell CR 2016 3V batteries in my Nova keychain flashlight leaked after I accidentally went swimming with my keys in my pocket. Does anyone know how to clean out all of the battery leakage, it has corroded some of the little metal pieces (rusty looking)? Also, how do you recycle these batteries?
Justin
jmonteiro wrote:

CR2016 "coin" lithium batteries are not rechargable, and I don't know of anyone who takes old (non-recharable) batteries for recycling. Just throw them away.
About your Nova flashlight...it is trashed - buy a new one. Maybe a water resistant one this time?
http://www.equipped.com/led_lights3b.htm http://www.photonlight.com/products/photon_microlight.html
Chuck Yerkes wrote:

Rechargable batteries, that is.
Information courtesy of http://www.rbrc.com/consumer/faq.html Where can I recycle my used rechargeable batteries?
Just go to any of our participating retailers. In the U.S.: Alltel, Batteries Plus, Best Buy, Black & Decker, Cingular Wireless, The Home Depot, Milwaukee Electric Tool, Orchard Supply, Porter Cable Service Center, RadioShack, Remington Product Company, Sears, Staples, Target, US Cellular, Verizon Wireless, and Wal-Mart. And in Canada: Battery Plus, Bell Mobility, Canadian Tire, FIDO/Microcell, Future Shop, The Home Depot, Home Hardware, London Drugs, Makita Factory Service Centers, Personal Edge/Centre du Rasoir, RadioShack Canada, Revy, Sasktel, Sears, The Sony Store, Telus Mobility and Zellers.
Use our collection site locator, or call the consumer helpline, 1-800-8-BATTERY, to find the retail collection site nearest you.
Stormin Mormon wrote:

/snip/ "....button cell batteries contain so little lithium that they never qualify as a reactive hazardous waste. These batteries are safe for disposal in the normal municipal waste stream." ibid http://www.panasonic.com/industrial/battery/oem/images/pdf/Panasonic_LithiumCR_Info.pdf

Radio Shack accepts batteries for recycling. Household vinegar will probably clean out the electrolyte from the cells. It works for alkaline batteries,too. It will not do anything for the rust or restore the plating,though.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik-at-kua.net