liquid nails removal from granite countertop

My A$$HOLE !@!@#$%^&*() contractor attached the dishwasher to the underside of our granite countertop with liquid nails. The only way I see of now removing said dishwasher for repair or replacement is sawing off the metal tabs that are holding it in place or applying some kind of solvent to the countertop.
Has anyone ever used "liquid nails remover"? is this going to damage the countertop?
I am refraining from ripping him a new one until he fixes said problem to my satisfaction but it is not easy.
must control fist of death!
Lenora
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

You could just use your *fist of death* to eradicate the adhesive. Or use your gauntlets of ogre power to lift the entire countertop along with the dishwasher for repair. I personally just cast a *heal salver-launderer* spell when it acts up.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Acetone may work as well. It will also remove oil type stains from granite. Soak a paper towel then tape cellophane over the damp towel and let it set for a while.

What do you suggest as an alternative? What is the accepted method of securing a DW to a granite top? I'd be afraid of drilling it or adding any anchors.

Added a strip of hardwood between the cabinet sides, attached at each side to the cabinet with an angle bracket. Then screw the D/W to the hardwood.
I'd be very cautious of using acetone. It's extemely volitile and flammable.
Since the adhesive is between the metal tabs and countertop, it's going to be difficult for any solvent to soak into the bond line and dissolve the glue. You'll need something that is low in volitility and won't run all over the place. Try spraying the bonded clips with a penetrating oil like WD-40 and keep it wet for a few days to see if this works. You might find that it softens the adhesive enough that you can pry it apart with a putty knife. Once you get the clips off, you should be able to remove the residue with mineral spirits (also flammable) and elbow grease.
Tom
If you are going to use a solvent, I suggest you start with mineral spirits.

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

in the time it took you to boot up your computer. git-er-done.
Sounds like a heavy razor edge tool -- scrape -- job to me. I don't think you will damage the granite, and you should be able to scrape it reasonable clean. --Phil
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

This may be a long shot but try 3+ long strands of strong dental floss and work it back and fourth like a saw and cut the glue between the metal bracket and counter top. Just a thought to avoid solvents. Jeff
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

You could try dry ice

Sounds like a job for the Fein Multimaster <http://www.coastaltool.com/cgi-bin/SoftCart.exe/a/fein/fein.htm?L+coastest+twhg4907ff2b362b+1151628304#multipurpose . Seriously. The flexible scraper blade or the E-cut universal blade should be able to cut nicely between the bracket and the countertop.
If you're on a budget that won't handle a Multimaster, you could dry doing the same with a jeweler's saw <http://www.widgetsupply.com/page/WS/CTGY/jeweler-saw .
--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate