Linux? Why Even Bother?

Page 1 of 2
Walmart, Dell, IBM and others have tried to sell Linux desktops and all ave failed. Linux was the first on the shelves for netbooks and yet when Windows versions were released months later the Linux versions went MIA.
Don't you kooks get it yet? Linux is like typhoid. Not wanted.
Give up and use Windows or OSX like the other 98 percent of society. Stop making asses of yourselves.
Scurvy McRicketts wrote:

Linux is getting more and more like Windows any way now. Somewhat more secure, efficient OS.
Tony Hwang wrote:

After reading the win10 preview newsgroup, it appears that a lot of people aren't a bit happy on some design decisions that were made in regards to win10. Some are saying that the moment is ripe for linux to get its act together and put out a clean distro with support. The linux community also has to support this by writing decent and well thought out apps. Last chance for this to happen. But I'm afraid that this may be too big of a hurdle for this to succeed.
On Tue, 23 Jun 2015 23:15:49 -0400, Scurvy McRicketts

There is a new TV series where Linux is used and directly mentioned.
Show me a TV series where Windows is touted as anything other than a vulnerable POS not ever ready for any business to use, unless they want to be hacked in the first week.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4158110/
On Wed, 24 Jun 2015 10:10:13 -0400, DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno wrote:

Barney and Friends isn't new. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0144701/
--
♖ ♘ ♗ ♕ ♔ ♗ ♘ ♖

On 24/06/2015 15:10, DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno wrote:

It used to be that all TV/Movie computers were Apples (and even invading alien armadas used Apples OS).
Windows seems to have caught on late that product placement is a good thing (and no doubt their marketing department will try to claim that they invented it) and have appeared in Hawaii 5-0 (in a major role as the table top surface machine), How I met your mother, Mentalist, I think Bones...
Although other than laptops the logo seems to only appear on the back of a monitor which is not very subtle product placement.
Andy

This was not "product placement". This is mentioned specifically by cast members and is what those members "use" to perform security operations/hacking jobs.
On 25/06/2015 09:50, DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno wrote:

Ah. Gotcha. Other than silicon Valley and Drop and Catch Fire I can't recall a single mention (and D&CF is DOS and not windows). I can't even recall a specific mention of Apple either although unix gets a mention in Jurassic Park by the young girl.
Andy
On 06/25/2015 02:44 AM, AndyW wrote:

The strangest product placement I've seen was in the SyFy Channel's 'Eureka'. In several scenes the Cisco logo appears on monitors and phones. It's not like Cisco is a household word and seeing the logo is going to cause Charlie Couchpotato to run out and buy a Linksys router.

Only in Windows Lemming La La land is someone labeled a kook for merely using an alternative. You would think Windows Lemmings are all some flavor of communist or fascist for all of their intolerance of people making their own choices.
us:

Good call, dude.
On Wed, 24 Jun 2015 09:24:13 -0500, JEDIDIAH wrote:

You have a God given talent for completely missing the point. The consumer had a choice between the Linux netbooks and the Windows models. They chose the Windows models.
Op 24-06-15 om 17:18 schreef Tomas:

<snip>

I bought one (HP) with Windows because it was cheaper and had better specs. Then made it useful by wiping this Windows and installing Linux. Now six years later it is still in use as a mini media server with Spotify and KRadio.
On 2015-06-24 12:21 PM, Dirk T. Verbeek wrote:

"Made it useful." Honestly though, I have to admit that for netbooks at least, Linux runs a lot better than Windows. I recently renewed the life of a co-worker's Windows netbook (which was ridiculously slow) by installing Lubuntu on it. It caused her a couple of problems since then (Linux is good at that) but it is still technically functional.
--
Slimer
Proud "wintroll"
On 06/24/2015 10:21 AM, Dirk T. Verbeek wrote:

I recently bought a Dell with windows 7 for similar reasons. Someday I'll have to boot into Windows and see if it still works. According to uptime it hasn't seen the light of day for 96 days...
On 06/24/2015 09:18 AM, Tomas wrote:

I could give a big rat's ass what Joe Sixpack chooses. He probably shops at Walmart and lives on Big Macs and Rolling Rock too.
On 6/24/15, 8:24 PM, in article snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net, "rbowman"

Use what you like. Seems a simple concept to me. :)
--
* Mint MATE Trash, Panel, Menu: <
http://youtu.be/C0y74FIf7uE

http://youtu.be/C0y74FIf7uE

* Mint KDE working with folders: <
http://youtu.be/7C9nvniOoE0

http://youtu.be/7C9nvniOoE0

On 2015-06-23 11:15 PM, Scurvy McRicketts wrote:

Nah, let them use what they want. The one thing *I* would like is for them to stop lying about Linux and start telling the truth, for once.
--
Slimer
Proud "wintroll"
On 6/24/2015 10:30 AM, Slimer wrote:

If a new install of win10 is free, I'll keep using it, other wise I'll use linux and the money can stay in my pocket. Either one gets the job done.
Op 24-06-15 om 17:30 schreef Slimer:

Yeah, you ARE in need of truth :)