Lintels

Ive replaced a wooden lintel, there is a small gap between the top of the new lintel and the stonework above.

Do I pack cement into the gap above the lintel, or jack up the lintel and pack cement under it at the support ends ?

H.

Reply to
howard

I'm a retired Chicago Licensed Brick/stone mason. A lot depends on what you call a 'gap'.

1/8"????

Without seeing it, tough to tell you but I would use 'mortar' (note: mortar is not the same as cement) and a tool we call a backfiller to push the mortar into the gap between the top of the lintel and the brick above it.

You can easily get a small amount of mortar from a local masonry job. Bring your own bucket and ask for a shovel full. I've given away lots like that. By doing this...you will have the correct proportion and consistency to easily fill that void.

Remember, mortar requires compression. Pack it real well, pushing it in layers till it's solid.

Reply to
FireBrick

forgot to tell you. You can get one of those 'backfillers' at Home Depot or other home stores. In some areas they may be called other names like 'tuckpointing tool'. Get one just slightly narrower than the gap.

Reply to
FireBrick

Yes, the gap is about 1/8 - 1/4"

I should know the difference, can you remind me ? :-)

Many thanks

H.

Reply to
howard