LINOLEUM -- to glue or not to glue?

Hi all I'm putting linoleum in my laundry room the piece is cut and ready to go about 12x12 feet the home depot guy told me that i don't have to glue it some people suggested to use double sided tape on the outer edges some people said i have to spread glue all over the floor Any ideas, Anyone try to put it in without gluing it?

Thanks ahead

Reply to
ypylaw1

Fastening around the outside only may cause problems moving the heavy appliances around causing the weight and pressure to stretch and possibly tear the flooring. I assume you are not using real linoleum but in reality are using a vinyl product which may have a greater potential to catch on the feet of the appliances.

Reply to
EXT

Follow the warranty advise, or you have none

Reply to
ransley

And the answer is ... as usual ... "It Depends".

On what will be under the floor covering.

On the quality of the floor covering.

On the pressures etc it will be subjected to.

On how long you need it to last.

Etc, etc.

If you don't fasten it at all, the edges will likely curl.

If it's cheap stuff, I wouldn't glue 100% of it.

"Sometimes, to be silent is to Lie." - philosopher Miguel Unamuno, during the Spanish Civil War

Reply to
Puddin' Man

If you glue it, I can tell you anyhow, it's a bitch to remove.

You'll need one of those 25-pound long-handled floor scrapers and muscles like the Great Atlas. Or the pneumatic equivalent.

Still, glueing will prevent it from being stolen.

Reply to
HeyBub

Home Depot is going / has gone to glueless vinyl flooring for ease of installation. I'm not trying to be resistant to change, I just like the old style of stuff better.

Nonetheless, if you have the stuff that isn't meant to be glued, don't glue it. The backing isn't designed for general purpose glue and you could ruin it by gluing it like a traditional vinyl floor. You might want to use the "glass tape" in the doorway to keep it from buckling, but you probably don't need to. It shouldn't shrink, curl, and any dents you make in it with furniture or appliances should eventually disappear. The thing I don't like about it is that it is pretty difficult to seam or patch, but this is a little thing that won't be a concern for most people.

JK

Reply to
Big_Jake

My parents had linoleum put in their basement. Installers just glued the corners. After a couple of years, the material shrank and it stretched inward away from the walls - except where it was glued in the corners. Looked like crap and ruined all of it. No idea what brand or type it was.

Reply to
The Reverend Natural Light

You wasted your money on junk. Sorry. Unless you can manage to set the washer and dryer in place without moving them after setting them down you will most likely rip or stretch the no-glue vinyl. I would NEVER use it again. My father-in-law tried it and ripped up the vinyl when putting in the refridgerator. It was in my mobile home when I bought it and it also got ripped up when we put the refridgerator in place and the same with the stove. My daughter and son-in-law used it because it was cheap, but they were able to set the fridge and stove in place with the 2 wheel dolly and it wasn't too bad. I rehab houses and will not allow my subs to put in no-glue, even though it is less expensive to buy and to install. If a house has it and even if it is in good shape I will have it replaced.

Mike D.

Reply to
Mike Dobony