linoleum removal?

contemplating pulling the linoleum off my concrete floor. what should I expect? lots of adhesive gunk to be scraped? should I just start cutting and peeling?

jrm

Reply to
Jrm

I just pulled up some linoleum today. It came off pretty easily, except around the counters. I'm in a condo where they laid the linoleum first, then put the counters in. Efficient for setting up a kitchen, but sucks for the poor sap like me that wants it gone. I used a utility knife,made a few cuts, and it came up pretty well. Like I said, around the cabinets it was a bit of a pain, but it came out in bits and pieces. The bit under the dishwasher was the worst.

-Hugh

Reply to
Hugh von Kanada

cool. I'll start tomorrow and share my findings. a buddy of mine that does concrete staining and the like told me to expect a bunch of black sealant/gunk underneath. we shall see.....

thanks.

jrm

Reply to
Jrm

Could be. In my case, the glue left a bit of a film, but nothing that a little elbow grease and a putty knife, or some solvents couldn't fix. The gross bit was when I discovered leftover wet oatmeal, or something with oatmeal consistency under the dishwasher.

-Hugh

Reply to
Hugh von Kanada

I pulled up Lineolium in my bathroom, 24 year old linoleum. Came up very easily. Left some glue stains and some residue. I got some adhesive remover from Home Depot. Paint it on, let it sit 30 minutes, scrape off with a putty knife. That stuff will remove anything left stuff to the floor.

If you plan to put down new linolemium/vinyl tiles, then make sure you take your type with the adhesive remove and make sure it's really clena. Run over it with some turpentine or mineral spiirits afterwards. When completel dry, paint on a layer of latex primer and the floor is ready for new glue/self stick tiles.

Reply to
Evan Mann

I bet it's not real linoleum. If it's the resiliient sheet (or tile) flooring made in the middle of the 20th century (as I understand it, up to the late '70s) it's probably vinyl-asbestos, the key word being "asbestos".

Do a google search for asbestos floors; one hit is at

In general you'll find advice ranging from "be very careful" to "leave it in place".

Chip C Toronto

Reply to
Chip C