"Linoleum over ceramic tiles"

Hi all,

My wife and I are planning to redo our small basement bathroom. The existing floor is horrible pink ceramic tiles over concrete, and we are thinking of putting down Linoleum self sticking tiles. I am toying with the idea of gluing down a sheet of 1/4 inch hardboard over the ceramic tiles and sticking down the lino on that......any thoughts??????

Zippertail

Reply to
Zippertail

Faulty idea. Chances are the junkboard will come loose and you'll have a mess.

Reply to
G Henslee

If the existing tile is in good shape, why not just set ceramic tile over the existing?

RicodJour

I'll try to answer your question.

If the floor is really smooth just lay your peel and sticks on the existing tile job. If not you can use a cement based floor leveler to fill in the grout lines and get a really smooth surface. The smoother, cleaner and dust free your installation surface the longer your tiles will last.

I am not a fan of the peel and stick guys. You will be better off installing over clean dry ceramic tile than installing it over crap-board. These guys tend to come unstuck in wet areas like a bathroom. Make sure you buy enough to have a few spare tile.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

Peal and Stick works best with an flat surface. Is you floor flat?

1/4 inch hard board will break when I walk on it if there any gaps or voids. Besides your going to loose some height, which can cause other issues.

Tile comes out really easy. Big hammer and chisel, flat shovel and some buckets or a wheel barrow.

Just how are you going to trim the toilet?

Reply to
SQLit

Yup, you should remove the tile and do it right. Put the sweat into it now or you're sure to have to do it again later. Skim coats crack and don't have good adhesion to the tiles and you have the whole issue of build up which will require re-setting the toilet with an extension. Bite the bullet and tear into it.

Reply to
C & M