Linoleum flooring

My mistress and I are hoping that we can close on the sale of our house within a week after our youngest son graduates from high school in May of 2009. To that end I am dealing with all problems that have been neglected for the last five years in which I have been disabled.
The linoleum flooring in the basemant needs to be replaced. Since it has nick and gouges, I need advice as to how to prepare the surface for new linoleum. I'm looking at 1600 sq ft.
Dick
If you're replacing the floor just to help sell the house, you might not recover the cost of replacement in the sale. If this were a kitchen floor, it would be different. I would recommend you talk to a realtor about this before you sink any money into a new basement floor.
Dick Adams wrote:

On Sun, 30 Sep 2007 03:59:32 +0000 (UTC), snipped-for-privacy@panix.com (Dick Adams) wrote:

Best to leave the basement as is and concentrate on your curb appeal, clean up, and decluttering. Ask a real estate agent.
Unless that basement is a true living area, I would not consider it. The next buyer may not care or may hate the color you pick. Most people don't worry about a basement's looks unless it is going to be part of their living area.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia \'s Muire duit
snipped-for-privacy@panix.com (Dick Adams) wrote in

Not advising on whether to do it or not. See other replies.
To answer your question, they usually cover it with thin plywood or luan and work from there. Personally, I don't like to raise the floor. I skimcoat the floor with products made for this to fill in the old pattern, nicks, loose pcs removed.. Even with plywood, skimcoating is recommended. Over time any lines, depressions, etc. will show through.
Here's a Family Handyman article on the subject.
    http://www.rd.com/familyhandyman/content/18189