linear foot

I am going to purchase some rocks to put around my herbal garden. Home Depot has them advertised at $1.78 per linear foot. What is a linear foot? thanks, Monika

Reply to
MJR

It's the length of a ruler, 12 inches. Some products are sold by variants of a foot, like "board foot" for wood products which is really a square foot (almost) by an inch (almost). So what the seller wants to tell you is that the rocks are laid out in a line 12 " long for sale, not by volume, weight, or other measure. OK?

Joe

Reply to
Joe Bobst

Correct, but not useful. You must be a computer programmer...

Reply to
William Morris

Thank you that answers my question and I can now measure the circumference of the box and get the stones. Monika

Reply to
MJR

Uhhh, no!

That's only one dimension, what of the *depth* of these "rocks"?

Reply to
I-zheet M'drurz

If it is being sold by the linear foot, the depth, height, weight or other things do not matter. If you are referring to figuring out how much is needed, then the depth and height can come into play. They still will have no effect on price per piece.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Linear foot means length as measured along a line, as contrast with square foot (for area) or cubic foot (for volume). I can't immagine buying rock by the linear foot, unless they are square and all the same size? Such things are usually sold by the square foot.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

Of course it's useful AND correct. 12" of the product.

Reply to
Larry Bud

a linear foot is the length of a foot.... like 12 inches long... when they sell somthing that already has a width to it they sometimes just sell by the foot.... and its a linear foot that they are talking about and not a square foot (like 12 in. by 12 in...).......

Reply to
jim

The OP is probably referring to the small retaining wall blocks that can be formed into arcs and larger diameter circles. They are 12" at their widest point..(somewhat keystone shaped) and linear feet is relevant because if you lay them side by side, each block will be 12" along that line.

Bobby

Reply to
Drummer of The Vibe