Line noise

I have an APC backup surge protected that keeps reporting that it is falling over to backup power because it detected line noise. This happens 5-10 times a week. Anyone know what line noise is and what causes it?
Line noise is a disruption of the normally smooth sine-wave pattern of the AC mains. Some equipment is more susceptible to it than others.
It happens when things like old/faulty switchgear are on the line, substation demand variation, in fact your own property can even be the source of the noise.
Why not install a conditioner between the mains & your unit?

I would check the receptacle to start. The unit detects a drop in voltage and trips, right?. Have you checked the APC site for a FAQ?
Oren
There are 4 types of alarms. Black out, Under Voltage, High Voltage and Electrical Noise.
Its says in the help....
Electrical noise is unwanted electromagnetic energy that goes to the battery backup from your AC utility power. This energy lowers the quality of signals and data. Its origin could be an electrical transformer in your area, for example, or a power generator. When there is too much noise, your battery backup intervenes by supplying battery power. Does that mean there is nothing I can do except purchase a line conditioner? Can the power company do anything about this?

You would know a black out, a brown out and both would damage when power is restored. A good APC saved our network once when a brown out surged.

Nothing around huh? Walkie-Talkie radios, chargers, magnets...?

Yes
Or something smaller.

Is this APC plugged into the wall directly?

How is this APC connected to devices (?PC).
Oren
I had an APC unit and, (naturally) after it went out of warranty, it started reporting frequent overvoltages. I called the power company and they did send a man out (they no longer have two on a crew; if the one grabs a hot wire he is supposed to call in on his cell phone) and he checked. He didn't find a problem, but did switch out the meter as he found some corrosion there. The point is that the power company did come out and check.
I called APC and they suggested a new battery in their unit, but that didn't solve the problem, so now I am looking for another brand of UPS.
Bob wrote:

A pat-answer huh? The units do wig-out.
Oren

It's almost certainly related to some bit of equipment being turned on and off. Check the APC logs and see if there's a pattern -- same time of day or whatever. Obviously, if the start/stop is driven by something else like a thermostat, it may appear somewhat random.
The equipment causing the gitches may be on your property. Ot it might be some distance away. If it is your own air conditioner, fridge, or whatever, it *may* suggest an impending failure there too. If you can locate the specific bit of kit, a brief inspection would certainly be in order.
In more serious cases, your electric utility may be willing to investigate but I doubt that applies here based on your description.
plug unit into extension cord temporarily and power from different outlet, preferably a different leg of the power line.
this may help isolate where the problem is