Limited trim options for H7ICAT Hi-hat

When I renovated my kitchen, I used the H7ICAT hi-hats. ( insulation rated, air tight). from what I read on the spec sheet on Cooper's website, there are only like 6 or 7 trims/baffles you can use.

But I just wanted the basic baffle. I used the 310 baffle with the R30

65 watt bulb.

When I installed it, if you look up into the hi-hat, you can see some of the inside of the housing. It seems that either the baffle is too wide on top , or the bulb is too small. I did push the adjustable light socket all the way up, so it's as far up as it will go. It's really not noticeable unless the light is off and if you look up. I was just curious if anyone encountered a similiar problem

Reply to
Mikepier

The 310 is not an airtite trim. For airtite the most standard looking trim is 30 wat or pat if you want black. If you don't need or want airtite, you can use the 410 trim with an R-40 65 wat lamp. This will fill most of the space around the lamp

Reply to
RBM

Are you sure that you have the 310 trim and not a 410. They are almost identical except that the 310 is somewhat conical to help the bulb hide the guts of the fixture. Something else to consider is that there are R30 short neck and R30 long neck bulbs. In the H7 you should use the long neck.

Reply to
John Grabowski

IMHO, the 310 is the ugliest trim they make. All the R-30's look lost inside. They do a better job with the 30 wat airtite trims. It's a tighter cone so the bulb fills more of the space.

Reply to
RBM

Yes I have the 310 with BR30 65W bulbs ( as it says on the chart). I understand it is not an airtite baffle, but it is one of the baffles that can be used on the H7ICAT. That's why I'm trying to find out why the bulb does not fill more of the fixture than I thought it should. By the way, it seems the big box stores don't carry the 30WAT baffle. What makes it airtite? Is there a gasket around the edge of the baffle? Because my hi-hats came with gaskets that I put on with the

310 baffles.
Reply to
Mikepier

Unlike the 310 or 410, the airtite is a solid one piece cone with a flange on one end and a small round opening at the other end. The lamp socket is removed from the bracket inside the existing housing and attached directly to the cone. The cone has expanding spring clips that attach to those open slots on the side of the housing

Yes I have the 310 with BR30 65W bulbs ( as it says on the chart). I understand it is not an airtite baffle, but it is one of the baffles that can be used on the H7ICAT. That's why I'm trying to find out why the bulb does not fill more of the fixture than I thought it should. By the way, it seems the big box stores don't carry the 30WAT baffle. What makes it airtite? Is there a gasket around the edge of the baffle? Because my hi-hats came with gaskets that I put on with the

310 baffles.
Reply to
RBM

Also from what I've searched, there is no difference between R30 and BR30 bulbs, right? I thought maybe there was a difference and thats why its not fitting the entire fixture completely.

Reply to
Mikepier

I believe they are physically the same dimensions. Many recessed fixture companies use three standard diameter fixtures. One for R-20, one for R-30, and one for R-40. Halo decided for some reason to use the same frame size for both R-30 and R-40 on their standard models, and although they curve and taper the inside baffle on the 310 models, there's still an awful lot of daylight around the lamp, and it looks silly. If you can get a hold of one of the airtite trims, it does look a lot nicer. or you can cheat like I do, and use the 410 trim, and R-40 lamp, just don't exceed the recommended wattage, or the temperature cutout will trip

Reply to
RBM

Thanks for the info. I'll look at the box stores again to see if they have that 30wat trim, or I might order one online. If it does look better, then I'll replace them.

Reply to
Mikepier

Update: Ok I went to Lowes at 6:30 this morning and I did find the

30WAT baffle. I see what you mean how its cone shaped, and how you have to remove the socket from the housing and attach it to the baffle. I tested it with an R30 bulb and it looks like a better fit. I only hope now that HomeExpo will take back the 8- 310 baffles that I originally bought about a month ago. I threw out the packages. If not, I have to eat them, $90 worth. Oh well, you live and learn, but at least now the hi-hats will look better. It would be nice if Cooper Lighting had a better explanation as to what baffles will work and what baffles will look good, because their list is rather vague.
Reply to
Mikepier