Limestone

When trying anything new, try it on a hidden surface to see how it goes.

Reply to
Stubby

Stubby wrote in news:3ZmdnVw39M2rpD3ZnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

I've got lots of leftover limestone to experiment on.

Reply to
Perri Morgan

snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (m Ransley) wrote in news:4524-44A0139C-243@storefull-

3136.bay.webtv.net:

The limestone is sort of a taupe color with some darker veining; the spot where I put the sponge with bleach on it discolored to a white spot in the exact color of the sponge. It was months ago, when I first moved in. So if it wasn't the bleach in the Comet that discolored the tile -- to white, no less -- then it was some other agent in the cleaner.

So I don't put a sponge with Comet on it on the limestone to dry anymore. Problem solved.

Reply to
Perri Morgan

"NeedleNose" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@u72g2000cwu.googlegroups.com:

That's probably what I need to do -- and just get a pro to do the whole thing, including the sealing. I have no idea whether they did it when the house was built or not.

Sure does! I wonder why it's used for bathrooms and kitchen countertops so much, though, given its porous quality? But I was mesmerized by the fossils and stuff in this stone. Still am.

Reply to
Perri Morgan

Sounds like manganese to me. Best to get a test done to verify. Other option would be bacteria but a comprehensive water test would confirm this. Cheers, cc

Reply to
James "Cubby" Culbertson

"James \\"Cubby\\" Culbertson" wrote in news:BtKdnRNokeTCqTzZnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

Thanks to all who helpfully responded. I've contacted the county for a copy of my well test, which they're sending me (for a small "processing fee" of $10). Perhaps I've discover the offending substance within.

Reply to
Perri Morgan