Like feedback about painting on metal siding

I have an house whose siding is metal(not seamless!). It was put on in the 60's I think(grandparents former home now mine). I do not have the funds to replace the siding I'm thinking just painting it as I need to spruce it up. Has any one painted over metal siding? Should I use a primer. I just heard on the radio from ShermanWillaims about a new exterior paint called "duration" that suppose to "last for years".

Of course thanks for any feedback.

Reply to
jlc

My house is of the same age and has metal siding. I bought it about 12 years ago. It had been painted previously and looked fine. Then about 6 years ago it started to peel is some areas and I repainted the entire house w/ Tremclad metal paint. I didn't use a primer. Since then I have had to redo one side where moisture from the kitchen and bathroom exhaust fans had caused some problems, but other than that it's been fine.

Peter H

Reply to
Peter H

Buy a paint approved for metal siding. Pressure wash to remove chalk. Spot prime any bare metal. Prime the entire surface. Apply one or two finish coats as needed to cover. Enjoy for 10-15 years.

Reply to
Colbyt

Does any siding come already "painted white" -- some kind of chemical coating that maybe *looks* like white paint.

We have some that look white enough, but no paint peeling off, nothing to imply that the white is something separate from the siding (as would be paint).

Or have I just not looked close enough?

Thanks,

David

Reply to