Lights on reminder?

Page 1 of 2

Hi,
Could someone suggest a good solution for reminding my family members that the lights are on in a particular room. For example, if I could have an LED light in a decora format I would be more than happy to run the necessary wires.
Thanks,
Aaron
Aaron Fude wrote:

Put the switch outside the room?

A little more info on the use and dynamics of the 'particular room' would be nice...
One solution, and I'm sure there are many others, is a timer... perhaps something similar to the ones listed below under 'countdown timer switches'.
http://www.mcmaster.com/#lighting-timers/=3sija1
Erik

snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

That is what I installed in our master bedroom walk-in closet. Wife used to keet lights on frequently.
I'd never thought of a motion detector for closet or room lights. Makes sense, though. Thanks for a great idea.
Years ago, my Dad noticed it was a total PIA to check see if the garage door was up. It's not a high crime neighborhood, but he does like to keep the garage door down. He ran a wire from the light that was already on the garage door opener. And put an indictor bulb over the garage door button which was inside the house. So, now when the garage door is open, the indicator light goes on.
Perhaps one answer to the OP and the "light on" is to run a wire, and put a compact fluorescent bulb in the hallway.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
on 9/26/2009 9:13 AM (ET) Stormin Mormon wrote the following:

I don't know how that works since most garage opener lights only stay on for a few minutes after door operation, whether the door was opened or closed. One would have to notice that light only within those few minutes.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Two points.
If you are using electrcity for heat during the winter (as we do) doesn't much matter? The 'wasted light' merely becomes heat/warmth inside the house.
Another solution is to hook up a door bell transformer to the 'offending' light. Then run low voltage wires to wherever you want and connect to a small 12 or 6 volt bulb and/or LED. If that's on the errant light is on! That cost however of around, say, $20* will buy many, many hours of electricity use.
But what, really, is the problem? Even a 100 watt light left on for say ten hours electricity only costs about 10 cents!
Twenty dollars* will buy the electrcity for one 100 watt light bulb for 2000 hours. 80+ days.
Or ten 100 watt light bulbs for 200 hours.
Hard to know why or what, apart from the general principle of conserve and do not waste, the objective is? It DOES come to mind here when you drive down a street at say 1.00 AM and there is someone's house with six or seven outside lights on all the time. It might be better to have motions-sensor lights and have them connected to an alarm (Hey the the outside lights just triggered! Is that the wind blowing, a local cat prowling, or someone snooping around?).
BTW neighbour asked me why our motion sensor light over garage door was on. It is normally off and triggers as he walks up driveway. Just realized that we had a couple of short power interruptions during some very windy weather and when the power came back on the motion sensor had reacted as it should and came on permanently! Realised that having to reset the m.wave and the PC had been indication that there had been at least one short interruption! Very unusual here.

That of course depends on what kind of ligts they are. For example, if they are typical recessed lights in a cathedral ceiling or in a ceiling with attic space above, very little of the heat is going into the house. And even if it is going in the house, it only helps during heating season and has the oppostie effect during cooling season. Plus, however much energy we all waste in small amounts does add up to a lot of extra fuel burned in most cases.

VERY old opener. Though, perhaps it does have a timer. I'm not sure. In any case, it's better than no light.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

The light on my garage door opener only stays on for a couple minutes, so that won't work. An open garage is an invitation for theft--a "nice" neighborhood makes no difference, it may be worse. I was thinking about some kind of switch, maybe a mercury switch to trip a low voltage DC circuit.

Whoa. Now we are talking garage door openers? The OPs question was, I thnk, about leaving lights switched on?
Partly my fault. I did mention the light my Dad wired in to the garage door opener. Of course, we can still discuss indoor lighting, if you wish.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
on 9/26/2009 11:33 AM (ET) Phisherman wrote the following:

No crooks in my garage with an open door, just birds, mice, chipmunks and one time, a snake.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Stormin Mormon wrote:

My opener came with a little do-higy that sticks on the inside of the garage door and senses when it is vertical or horizontal. When it is horizontal it sends a radio signal to another little do-higy inside the house and it lights the red LED letting me know the door is open. When the door is closed it lights a green LED.

Sounds like a good thing to have but what nerd of an engineer added the second light? What information does it show that the red light doesn't? Door open - red light, door closed - no red light. Actually simpler as one doesn't hae to even look to tell what color is lit.
Harry K
harry k wrote:

-- aem sends...
On Sun, 27 Sep 2009 08:14:15 -0700, harry k wrote:

For the same reason that nobody has single-light traffic lights, I suppose - "no lights" is a good indicator of a fault in the system. Failed indicator (even though LEDs don't typically just die like incandescents do), failed wiring/control, door jammed halfway between open and closed etc.
cheers
Jules
On Sep 27, 10:35am, Jules

I can dig that 'engineer's reasoning' but by extension he shouild add a third light to show 'fault'...and then a 4th to show 'fault in the fault circuite', etc. :)
Harry K