lights get bright

When my oil burner kicks on, the lights in my kitchen and living room momentarily get brighter. The lights are not on the same circuit as the burner and I have a 200 amp service with practically no load on it. Any clues??

Reply to
RBM

This is the third time you've posted the same question.

Have you read any of the responses?

Reply to
Doug Miller

So you dont rember posting it 4 times

Reply to
m Ransley

His ISP (optonline.net) is indeed having major problems with news server. It may have settled down about two days ago.

LB

Reply to
LB

His ISP (optonline.net) is indeed having major problems with news server. It may have settled down about two days ago.

LB

Reply to
LB

In short, you have a bad connection on the neutral (white wire) somewhere. It is likely at the breaker box. Two of your circuits (two breakers) are acting as if for part of their load they were providing 240V divided between two circuits rather than 120V to two different circuits. Two common sources of this problem are the back stab outlets and aluminum wire.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Doug Miller

RBM:

R > When my oil burner kicks on, the lights in my kitchen and living room R > momentarily get brighter. The lights are not on the same circuit as the R > burner and I have a 200 amp service with practically no load on it. Any R > clues??

Faulty neutral somewhere - could be in your service panel, could be at the pole transformer. Probably best to have an electrician look for it: they might be able to see problems your untrained eye would not.

As for the multiple posts, over the time I have been with this newgroup I have seen other messages posted multiple times. If something is changed in the original message (timestamp, add or subtract a character) then it is treated as a new message. Not a big deal.

  • This isn't an office. It's Hell with fluorescent lighting.
Reply to
barry martin

"Back stab outlets" have nothing to do with the problem. (they cause different problems) If the lights get brighter when a load kicks in, there is a poor neutral connection at a point *common to both circuits*

That means a loose connection in the subpanel (if there is one), or somewhere upstream of it. That's why it is so dangerous -- all the neutrals in the house are probably high impedence and the voltages are floating all over the place; maybe even using the grounding electrode and water pipes to return the unbalanced current back to the utility pole. ==(8-o

Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

I thought about that right after I hit the send button, but I figured it would not hurt to check them out anyway as they may need it. :-)

I do seem to remember someone once explaining how they might, but I am not sure and frankly off had I can't think of how they could myself. Maybe a split circuit? Got to give that some thought.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Reply to
Rob Gray