Lightning protector for telephone NID

Page 2 of 2

posted and mailed.
On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 11:11:01 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com"

I don't know what you have that's causing the problem and needs repairing/replacing, but NID stands for Network Interface Device, and refers to a jack and a plug, or more than one. The jack is from the phone company, and the plug is from your house. That's what makes it an "interface". It's like your whole house, the entire phone system of the house, is plugged into a jack from the phone company.
They've been using these for 30 years or more. BEfore they had the plug/jack things they had a screw block where the wires from the phone company met the wires from the house. I think these were usually inside, but the newer nids are almost always outside.
Could there be a problem with terminology when talking to the various companies? Regarless, if all you need is the lightning thing, yes, do it yorusslef. I don't think the URL you gave loooks so cheap. It looks ok to me.

Did you call it an LP or a lightening protector. I've never heard of an LP either, except for 33 1/3.

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

dealing with Verizon, it may be less time for you to install your own they way you want it. Try: http://www.hometech.com/techwire/demarc.html
Be sure to ground it well AND make sure the ground is connected to the rest of the building and power grounds.
Thanks for the link.

Thanks all for the replies.

Well, this NID is only a piece of plywood with the lighting protector screwed to it using two wood screws. I called Verizon repair first. Oh yeah, I know the number by heart by now. They transferred me to somewhere else who then transferred me to customer service. The latter didn't even know what a LP was and said they would have to transfer me to, yes you guessed it, repair. All CS could tell me was that if I had their $6.00 per month "internal wiring protection plan" then it wouldn't cost anything. They even tried to sell me the option on the spot.
************************************************************8
So, sign up for their plan for a month and get it fixed.

Theres a verizon CEO office complaint number, a NID IS NOT that surge protector your talking about.
by chance are you using a different DSL provider reselling using verizons lines?
thatr would explain everything:(
have you called your tates PUPLIC UTILITY COMISSION?
That will get verizon to install a new NID outside where it belongs.
by chance do you not for whatever reason want a outdoor NID?
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

http://www.milestek.com/shop/product.asp?id=SMCANT%20LP&cid=&kwd=&l=&p

Going back, I'm curious as to why you think it is the protector getting damp that causes the problem? Have you dried it out with a hair dryer or lamp, and had the noise disappear? You can actually remove the protectors from the block, but I don't advise it unless you are handy with tools..
If this is rain-caused, it's most likely bad cable at some place between you and the CO.

Actually, it's rather robust vs. voice; my DSL has stayed up while the POTS was unusable from a tip ground.
& no one will talk to a host that\'s close........[v].(301) 56-LINUX

Why go to that amount of trouble....Just disconnecting the pairs from the LP was enough.

Not certain what your problem was but noise will have a greater effect on DSL than voice any day. Nothing to argue about there.