Lightning protector for telephone NID

Page 1 of 2

Hi,
The LP here (inside garage screwed to a piece of plywood) is so old that it causes nothing but noise on the telephone line during high humidity conditions. This in turn causes my DSL internet connection to drop. Common problem with DSL, it's not very noise resilient. Spoke to Verizon (our telco) about it and up to now cannot confirm whose responsibility, in terms of cost, it is to have the LP replaced so I'm just going to do it myself. Please, no lectures on proper grounding etc., changing this thing is a piece of cake.
Problem is, can't find many places selling LPs. There's one here but it's looks so "el cheapo";
http://www.telephonecentral.com/ProductInfo.aspx?productid 0401
Anybody know of places that sell these things in the US to non- contractors? I'm even thinking of just "buying" one off a Verizon service technician. The LPs they use look like the real deal.

Verizon should install a new NID, or replace it. Thats their responsblity, and the NID includes lightning protection, so the indoor one can be removed completely.
NID network interface device is box on outside of home.
while verizon is there ask them to install a central DSL filter, and either you or them run a dedicated line from filter to computer modem. ask for filter when calling so tech has it on truck, mine was free
no more phone filters, new line has low losses, and much more reliable.
this should end forver your issues.
old lines are a main cause of flakey DSL. i had these issues here, central filter and new dedicated line to computer ended that hassle for good:)
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

I just had that done by at&t an my DSL which had just upgraded from 3 to 6 went up to over 5 and is now holding, also it was great to get rid of those filters, the one on the wall phone was the worst.
--
The Only Good Spammer is a Dead one!! Have you hunted one down today?
(c) 2008 I Kill Spammers, Inc. A Rot In Hell Co.

I don't expect you to understand the prvious paragraph, but it means if I ever fix the phoneline problem I have had for the last few years, I'll have a new problem because the phone line enters through the basement in stead of my office like now.
I didn't pay attention to hhow you do it, but since you have a full basement with unfinished ceilings in part of it, it's easier.

This is why I wrote: A reminder that this guy signed up for 6 and is happy to get over 5. There's probably a way to measure what yo're getting now. and it might not be 3.

It wobbled, right?
mm wrote:

At the interface it is 6, but even with the new direct cable there is a lose, besides I'm a the end of the mileage for DSL, at this point I have UVerse up the street, but I'm way to far for that at least until early next year. I am a COEI Installer, if you don't know what that is, a CO Installer, I install the hardware in the CO's and have done this for 40 years, so I have seen a lot of changes.

--
The Only Good Spammer is a Dead one!! Have you hunted one down today?
(c) 2008 I Kill Spammers, Inc. A Rot In Hell Co.

I apologize. This was meant to be sent only to a friend who is considering signing up for faster DSL. *She*'s the one who won't understand the previous paragraph, at least the part about filters.
I expect that Steven will undrstand it, considering he wrote it!
I otoh, had a lot of trouble understanding what I was talking about when I read it in the ng. ;
Wow, I checked and I hadn't even sent it to the friend.

Again, refers to my friend's house.
I see at the end is a line directed to Steve, asking if the phone wobbled. So in the middle of writing, I forgot that I was writing and an email and thought it was meant to be a post too.

mm wrote:

Are you asking if the wall phone wobbled? Yes it did and a few times came off the wall. It is a very expensive Motorola Base station and I was lucky nothing broke. To make things even faster for my DSL I installed a Cat5 cable direct to the DSL router/modem and now the signal is just under 6, and at the demark it is under 7 and that I can't figure out since the top speed is 6.
--
The Only Good Spammer is a Dead one!! Have you hunted one down today?
(c) 2008 I Kill Spammers, Inc. A Rot In Hell Co.
-snip-

Yup- If it was me I'd run a 2 pair wire from the inside block to where I wanted the new one outside- then call them and make an appointment for a working box outside.
And if they balk, then call your Public Service Commission. Verizon screwed me around for years with a lousy cable pair that gets rotated between customers until they complain loudly enough. A call to the PSC got a response *within hours* from a supervisor who gave me his personal number.
Better yet they apparently were able to put a sensor and drier on the line because afterwards whenever the line got noisy- we could wait 5 minutes and it would be quiet again. [today we finally got rid of them altogether and went with TW digital phone]
Jim
Thanks all for the replies.

Well, this NID is only a piece of plywood with the lighting protector screwed to it using two wood screws. I called Verizon repair first. Oh yeah, I know the number by heart by now. They transferred me to somewhere else who then transferred me to customer service. The latter didn't even know what a LP was and said they would have to transfer me to, yes you guessed it, repair. All CS could tell me was that if I had their $6.00 per month "internal wiring protection plan" then it wouldn't cost anything. They even tried to sell me the option on the spot.

I'll investigate further. Thanks.

There is a good reason to NOT get them to replace it.
If they do, they want it outside. You don't.
If they do, they default into "It's your problem, and if we come out, we'll charge you unless you can prove it's ours [Fat Chance, buddy]" mode.
& no one will talk to a host that\'s close........[v].(301) 56-LINUX
I called POTS repair again and after explaining everything they said it was a DSL repair issue. Since DSL repair was the very first place I called and they already said it was a POTS repair issue I lost my temper and just told the POTS repair person where to go stick their head and hung up for the second time. Will either buy the LP online or just give a Verizon serviceman $5.00 or $10.00 for one of theirs. Any more DSL issues after that and it's cable broadband, something I probably should have done long ago. The only thing that has been stopping me is where cable service enters the house now and where I'd want the cable MODEM. The house is already wired for both POTS and VOIP telephone lines and the cable MODEM has to be preferably near a phone jack.

If you actually get any useful help from Verizon please let us know how you did it. I fought with them for almost a year at my old place simply trying to get a functional phone line - new NID, new cable to pole, and they tried about three different pairs going back to wherever their switching station was, same result, every time it rained or got humid, tons of static on the line so that you could barely carry on a conversation and I couldn't even use dialup. Eventually my landlady upgraded to cable internet and I split the cost with her and we both dropped Verizon entirely - she was having problems on her line too that they also couldn't or wouldn't fix.
I also had issues at a previous place where Verizon sold my girlfriend DSL and then when it wasn't any faster than dialup and kept dropping and reconnecting their tech told her that she should have never been sold it in the first place because we were way too far from the switch.
And even years ago, when I first moved to this area, Verizon got something like a $400 deposit simply to turn on the phone service because they considered the credit "insufficient" of two people with jobs and good credit ratings...
In short, they're bastard coated bastards with bastard filling, and any sympathy I may have had for them due to all the people dropping their land lines and going all cellular due to the inevitable march of technology is offset by the way they've jerked me around over the years forcing me to do the same.
Finally, if you rewire, I believe current recommendation is to pull CAT6 for any new telephone jacks because DSL is so common. But I wouldn't bother, just do what I did and get a wireless router and cable modem.
nate

I will try again! Verizon should instal a NID outside where the phone line enters your home, it includes built in lightning protection, the old carbon pile thing witll be disconnected, they arent compatible with DSL, at this time try t get a whole house DSL filter, more speed no more individual phone fiters:)
the NID upgrade should be free:) it makes repairs easier for them and for you.
when you have a phone problem go outside, unplug your home, plug in a spare phone.
if it works then its something in your home
if it doesnt work its verizon.
clean simple free test.
imagine its something in your home:( Till you get it fixed run a cheap 25 foot extension to inside and connect a working phone. instant repair:)
the NID outside is better for everyone and can be locked if you want. I never bothered.

Sure you can lock it.. for all the good that does.. A standard hex socket opens any NID, locked or unlocked.
& no one will talk to a host that\'s close........[v].(301) 56-LINUX

many years ago a burglar was busy in our area cutting phone lines, before breaking in the homes.
jerk must of hit 30 homes, cut phone lines so security systems couldnt dial out.
bell telephone was going around instaling a NID at each home.
I had my NID installed high up, where a extension ladder would be needed to reach the nid or line, preventing tampering.
my grandma, who could barely walk was living here and I idnt want our home burglarized.
many years later the NID went bad and I had them replace it, with one on ground level.

I'll bet. BTDT. I usually "won".

That's where I would have installed the SNI - let the customer own all the mickey mouse from there to the house. Wotta PITA and mostly a worthless effort.

To the layman, it all sounds so good. It's just "feel good" effort. No one messes with SNIs - at least around here during my career. In any case, a bold bad guy would just smash and grab with siren blaring away.
More likely, they'd not bother with such a residence regardless of the telephone installation. Pickings are SOOO much easier in the city. A quick VCR, DVD or flat screen will keep the bad guy high just fine. He's not going to bother trying to find a fur vault or locate the Goebel Hummels.
--
:)
JR

locally security alarm companies have gone to a backup radio system, perhaps they use cell phones imbeded in the system? dont really know but if the phone line is cut the system phones home a alarm.
its sad verizon fios tech support sucks, our central office had a bad noisey router, it was noisy for a month, got worse, and the problem was ignored for another month, even with me calling daily........
got into a heated argument with one idiot CSR.
ITS THE NETWORK verizons adds are a joke. they could care less........

They just knew whom they were dealing with... -- Tekkie - I approve this advertisement/statement/utterance.

Or check with your cable provider. I know Cox's inside wire maintenance program covered catv and phone, even if they didn't provide the phone. For $2 a month I had my whole place re-wired.