Lightning Protection

Page 3 of 3

Travis Jordan wrote:

BTW, it looks like tomorrow is going to be a good test day for lightning protection around here :-)
Travis Jordan wrote:

I think it is a mis characterization to say that the NFPA "added several of the features of ESE systems (such as the taller terminal) to the 2004 standard." The technical committee made changes to the document using the NFPA's normal consensus standards development process. Any changes that appear to be elements of ESE are mere coincidence.
The Standards Council made an entirely separate decision that that there was and is sufficient scientific support to continue to publish a standard on lightning protection. These actions were a response to legal action brought against the NFPA by proponents of the early streamer emission systems. The work of the joint federal users group and others was used as the substantiation for the standards councils decision. Which brought the issue full circle back to were the NFPA is continuing to decline to provide legitimacy to the several alternative approaches to lightning protection that various commercial firms have patents on and proprietary interest in.
I stand by my earlier assertion that these patent lightning protection systems are based on either junk science of no science at all. -- Tom H