Lighting question--again!

My kitchen has 5 recessed 30-W flood lights controlled by a single switch (i.e. all in series). The bulb closest to the switch keep on going out, but the others have not been replaced so far. I am thinking that there may a loose connection in the culprit light, or is it just pure happenstance? Thanks.
snipped-for-privacy@uark.edu wrote:

It could be several things. I wonder if you are replacing them with exactly the same kind of lamp? I also wonder if maybe the ventilation of that fixture may not be as good as the others, causing overheating. Another possibility is a poor connection at the socket, maybe some corrosion or even some vibration near it like a vent fan.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia \'s Muire duit

Heat caused by a loose connection or bad socket is a common culprit. Also vibration can be a factor. What kind of bulbs are you using?

----------------- Thanks to both of you for the info. I am using a 30 W SYLVANIA Reflector. The only "vibration" under it is the frig. But that does not sound excessive, plus 30 W can't generate that much heat.

Also
I would start by changing the socket.
John Grabowski wrote:

I agree. I would add that 30W can cause a lot of heat under the wrong conditions.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia \'s Muire duit

Exactly 30x3.412 = 102.36 Btu/h of heat, under any conditions.
Nick
On 7 Mar 2007 19:57:47 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@uark.edu wrote:

Is this can over a sink? Humidity is a guess.
tom @ www.Consolidated-Loans.info

------------------------ The culprit light sits on top of the frig. The other (exactly equal) lights are closer to microwaveoven, kitchen range, and sink with no problem. The units are rated for 60 W and I use only 30 W. The minimum required 5" space (no insulation) around each can is observed. I looked at the wiring inside the junction box (which is part of the housing) and made sure all three connections were "good and solid." I noticed that there is a capacitor (I believe) that is part of the circiut, but had no way to check it. Could it be defective? What does the capacitor do anyway? Thanks.