lighting placement question

I need some help/advice for installing general (not task) can lamps in a kitchen ceiling.
This installation will be in the work, not eating area. They are 4", non-directional cans that will be above a U-shaped counter/work area. The dimensions of the U are 10' on the legs and 8' for the bottom of the U. The entire work area has upper cabinets above it as well. I don't feel the need for a central light in the middle of the U as the penumbras of the installed lights should be adequate, I think, for lighting this less-used space (no island). However, I would like to have good, relatively shadow-free lighting on the countertops.
The countertops are a standard 24" deep and the upper cabinets are a standard 12" deep.
How far back (or forward) of the countertop edge should these lights be placed?
TIA,
Joe

Last kitchen I did, my own, I installed the cans 6 inches into the counter top for my peninsula. That area was cooking and prep. I chose the measurement by the diameter of the light at counter height. I did not want shadows. The lights that were by the counter with upper cabinets I installed even with the counter top. I used wall washers and down lights Your light fixture manufacture should have information on this
Even with non directional cans you can depending on make bend the socket braket if angling is off. Halogen lights, the small 55 watt or so are normaly sold in Spot and Narrow flood. But you can order 5 or so different width patterns from Narrow spot to wide flood. I suggest holding up a lamp at the ceiling , wired, and try different bulbs so see what you like . I use three different beam widths depending on the effect I want.