Lighting a pavillion for picnic

Page 2 of 3
Oddly enough, I used to have a couple fountain pens. I had a couple that put together like a pocket size pen with cap. And some of the old dip in ink kinds.
Ball point pens. How quaint. Bang your cane on the floor if you have a hard time hearing, OK?
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Huh?????
It's a secret. Can't tell anyone, or the whole world will know.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
On 10/8/2010 8:51 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

I've used the portable fold out fluorescents that run on 4 D cells. They run a long time and provide enough light to work in a room. Can't seem to find a pic on the web. Maybe they are no longer made...
Big Lots has carried kerosene lamps for a song, work well even the $2 minis. I gave quite a few to an Amish family, the kids loved them.
I'm not so sure that your portable propane light is not the best. It really depends on how much light you need.
I have also use the 12v fluorescent work lamps run off a car battery. Will go for days...
I don't see the LED strings as giving off enough light.
Jeff
Jeff
Come to think of it, I've got a couple 12

I've used the portable fold out fluorescents that run on 4 D cells. They run a long time and provide enough light to work in a room. Can't seem to find a pic on the web. Maybe they are no longer made...
CY: I've seen them at Home Depot. They are excellent, but they are also thirty bucks. The camping fluorescent I got was Walmart, ten bucks.
Big Lots has carried kerosene lamps for a song, work well even the $2 minis. I gave quite a few to an Amish family, the kids loved them.
CY: yes, I'd bet they do. Kerosene lamps hung from the high point of the roof sounds good, to me. I'd have to bend some metal rod, to make ceiling hooks. But,t hat can be done.
I'm not so sure that your portable propane light is not the best. It really depends on how much light you need.
CY: Not much light really needed. The one fluorescent was enoguh after eyes adjusted.
I have also use the 12v fluorescent work lamps run off a car battery. Will go for days...
CY: That's a good thought.
I don't see the LED strings as giving off enough light.
CY: I don't know. Never tried one.
Jeff
CY: Thanks, Jeff.
Jeff
CY: Thanks, Jeff.
<snip>

Kid size. I still remember them running around with them. Were they happy! For me, there's nothing that quite says rustic (or no power) like kerosene light.
Another thought. Push lamps, there's a zillion of them and you can put them wherever you need local light. The batteries cost more than the lights. Tea candles and such too. Put a few on each table. Some are wind proof. The tall devotional candle in a glass runs forever, and decorative.
Jeff
I bought a mini oil lamp at Real Deals Dollar Store. The wick is not effective, it doesn't carry oil to the top. Oh, well.
I like kerosene lamps. One picnic earliler this year, somone brought a bunch of citronella candles. they worked well. I've seen wall holders for candles. It was slightly windy, so candles might have blown out. Not sure. Maybe if they were up near the ceiling they would be out of the wind.
Some push lights, with filament bulbs, do a reasonably good job. The LED ones I've seen throw a spot on the far wall.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

If you had the faith of a mustard seed, you could light the whole pavilion up like high noon with just two birthday candles and one tea light.
CY: The loaves is good, but I hate fish. Besides we were doing marshmallows and donuts. Doesn't mustard seed make mountains move? Closest we had was Hill Cumorah, which was about two miles away. Didn't want to move that. The church uses it for Pageant.
But seriously, whatever you do, this is a singles mixer. Make the lighting soft, moody, romantic. Tractor headlights aren't going to lead to any baby Mormons in 9 months.
CY: Yes, that's a thought. Tractor lights are a bit much for that kind of activity.

Many people find propane lanterns either much too bright or much too noisy. Kerosene lamps (either pressurized or with wick and chimney) may be preferable.
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs
On 10/8/2010 7:51 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

A cheap way would be to get some rectangular head lamps from the junkyard, old sealed beams. The yard might sell them for very little and if they're like some of folks I know, they would donate them if it's for a church function. You could put the lights high on the supports pointing up at the ceiling for indirect lighting. A couple of deep cycle batteries should keep them lit for quite a while. Keep the rugrats away from the setup and all should be well. 8-)
TDD
The Daring Dufas wrote:

Good idea (but still too bright for my way of thinking).
And children? At a singles gathering?
Methinks you're putting the cost before the heart.
On 10/9/2010 2:02 PM, HeyBub wrote:

Backup lights from some junkers then. Many singles these days have young offspring and a babysitting corral at a gathering is not an odd thing to have. Cost? Think creative use of monetary inventory. I love saving money and I'm only part Scottish.
TDD
Backup lights, or dome light from inside passenger compartment. Both good ideas.
Yes, many singles have kids. I know at least a couple. We had two girls about 11 and 12 at the gathering.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
On 10/9/2010 7:13 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Were they looking for husbands?..... Sorry, I couldn't help it. 8-)
TDD

not ready for marriage at 11 and 12 just looking for sex partners at that age:(

Now that was mean. 8-)
TDD
You know, I may have a couple round sealed beams. From my last vehicle. I think that's excellent idea, and also low budget.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Ive help set up at a pavilion exactly like the one in the picture. We set up spot lights that reflected off the ceiling.
Jimmie
On 10/10/2010 10:25 AM, JIMMIE wrote:

Pass out a bunch of Harbor Freight coupons at the next service, and tell each single person in the congregation that they have to go there at least twice, and get a couple of the free flashlights. That oughta provide enough light for 4 or 5 hours.....
--
aem sends...