Lighting a pavillion for picnic

Page 1 of 3
http://landerwoodswimclub.org/pavillion.jpg
This isn't the one where I was, but it's the same general idea. The church single adult hayride and campfire was held tonight. The host family has an aluminum structure some what like this. About 10 metal picnic tables under the aluminum roof. Of course, there wasn't light. The farmer had headlights on his tractor, and I had a ten dollar camping lantern from Walmart. There wasn't a good atachment point under the roof. There were a couple eye bolts, along the side. I used a bungee cord from there. The farmer and I discussed it. He's playing with the idea of some LED lights under the eaves, and run a power cord from the tractor . I suggested a two mantle propane camping lantern, which is plenty bright. He added that a pulley and rope in the center would be good. Run the light down for lighting, and up for use. We're going to have another picnic same time next year. And, I may wish to be lighting up a pavillion in the meantime. What are good lighting options? Propane lantern is good. I'm also thinking of some other fluorescent lamps. Come to think of it, I've got a couple 12 volt mechanics work lights, and I've got a 12 volt jumper pack. I could climb up, and bend a coat hanger, to suspend the work light from the ceiling.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

How much light do you want?
When we camp (and assuming there is electric) I string white rope lights through the frame of my pop-up canopies.
This provides enough light to hang out comfortably, play cards, etc. without being so bright that it feels like daytime.
On the other end of the spectrum (no pun intended) are a couple of these:
http://www.harborfreight.com/500-watt-dual-head-halogen-shop-light-40123.html
I split the stand on mine and inserted an extendable pole which get the fixtures over 10 feet in the air. Point them up towards the ceiling and raise them above eye level and you'd have enough light to do brain surgery with.
Add pictures here
✖
I'm picking up your vibrations. We're on the same wavelength. We need enough light to walk around, chat, and put more food on our plates, and in our mouths. I didn't see anyone reading, or performing surgery.
On another list, rope lights were suggested. I find them on Ebay, cheaply enough. And, they do have 12 volt versions. I had been thinking fluorescent mechanic lights. But, the rope lights seem well suited. Power them off a battery jumper pack, and then charge the jump pack on the way home. I've got a double ended lighter cord for recharging.
A couple 500 watters would be tough to power, the pavillion doesn't have electric. So, it's portable batteries of some kind. I don't have a large enough inverter, to power a 500 watter.
I did think of a clamp lamp with a spiral CF bulb. I do have a 150 watt inverter.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Somehow LEDs and a hay-ride don't seem to go together.
I'd get a half-dozen old-timey Kerosene lanterns, or one for each table. They don't put out a lot of light, but that's appropriate for the atmosphere.
They have other uses.
Some fool came down my street and hit the light pole in front of my house. The force of the collision completely uprooted a thirty-foot tall street light and landed it in my yard!
I called the light company a couple of times, but a week went by without them paying much attention to the issue.
So I got a 12' tree branch, put a small Kerosene lantern on one of the branches, and stuck the other end in the hole left by the extracted light pole.
I took a picture and emailed the snapshot (with the lantern burning bright) to the public relations office of Centerpoint (the power company). Mentioned I thought this might make a good human-interest story for the local TV folks.
You can imagine what happened next.
Add pictures here
✖
to light the picnic grove some CFLs and a 12 volt to 120 volt inverter will do the job great....
You could use 12 volt 50 watt incandescent bulbs but they are pricey and power piggies.
in addition there are 12 volt CFLs but they are very pricey
Add pictures here
✖
You know, that's a very good thought. Camper and RV supply places have the 12 volt incandescant. I'd be more tempted to use marker light fixtures from a junk yard, or dome light. Yes to power pigs, but pleasant light.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Somehow LEDs and a hay-ride don't seem to go together.
CY: Couple of the folks had cell phones, which are also a culture clash.
I'd get a half-dozen old-timey Kerosene lanterns, or one for each table. They don't put out a lot of light, but that's appropriate for the atmosphere.
CY: I really like that idea. I've got a couple of the metal framed lamps, which would have been perfect. Now, I'd need screw eyes to hang the lamps overhead.
They have other uses.
Some fool came down my street and hit the light pole in front of my house. The force of the collision completely uprooted a thirty-foot tall street light and landed it in my yard!
CY: Ouch, that's not good. For the fool, or for the light.
I called the light company a couple of times, but a week went by without them paying much attention to the issue.
CY: Wow, they shoulda acted more promptly.
So I got a 12' tree branch, put a small Kerosene lantern on one of the branches, and stuck the other end in the hole left by the extracted light pole.
I took a picture and emailed the snapshot (with the lantern burning bright) to the public relations office of Centerpoint (the power company). Mentioned I thought this might make a good human-interest story for the local TV folks.
You can imagine what happened next.
CY: You got the bedbug letter?
Add pictures here
✖
On Oct 8, 8:51 pm, "Stormin Mormon"

How about some construction job site temporary lights...
The ones strung on wire with the lamp sockets spaced every 10' ?
Like these:
http://www.mcgillelectrical.com/CatalogProducts.asp?nProductsID=63
All you would need would be a small generator to plug them into and some light bulbs...
Sounds a bit more stable and less redneck than any of the other options and a lot less flammable since the generator and fuel can be located further away from the assembled crowd rather than being hung above the crowd in the light or knocked over if left on the table tops...
I assume that there are members of the picnic that have portable generators and that you could purchase a string or two of the work lights and some extra wire to get the lights working -- those could be stored and reused many times a lot safer than lamps fueled by Kerosene...
~~ Evan
Add pictures here
✖
The farmer was talking about some kind of 12 volt lights. He could power them off the golf cart battery set up. Or, off the tractor. The working lights are good, too. They could be strung up under the high point of the roof. Using smaller CF bulbs, they might work off a battery and inverter. Great idea. Generator is good, if a bit noisy. Battery and inverter is quieter.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
On 10/9/2010 8:17 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Inverters are actually rated in volt amps, not watts, so you need to consider the power factor.
I just tested some CFLs here and the PF came in at a low low .43. So, if you had say a baby 60W inverter, only 24 watts.
Jeff
Add pictures here
✖
Does that mean I can run more bulbs? Or less?
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
On 10/10/2010 2:58 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Less... 60% less.
Not that the bulbs take much power. I think it's a good plan to get an inverter and a car battery, you can pick up strings of party lamps at Target for $10 or so too.
I bought those kerosene lamps at Big Lots for $2 and $4 a few years ago. I haven't had a chance to look to see if they still carry them, couldn't have made much on them!
Jeff
Add pictures here
✖
On 10/10/2010 2:58 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Less... 60% less.
CY: Bummer. I was hoping for more.
Not that the bulbs take much power. I think it's a good plan to get an inverter and a car battery, you can pick up strings of party lamps at Target for $10 or so too.
CY: Good idea. The pavillion isn't mine, so I was looking for a portable and temporary answer.
I bought those kerosene lamps at Big Lots for $2 and $4 a few years ago. I haven't had a chance to look to see if they still carry them, couldn't have made much on them!
CY: Good idea. At that price, I could afford to leave a couple of them for the farmer. Thanks, Jeff.
Jeff
Add pictures here
✖
On 10/9/2010 2:32 PM, Jeff Thies wrote:

Our power was out for hours last night and the two UPS systems ran the CFL equipped desk lamps the whole time without a problem. I got to test all my flashlights too!
TDD
Add pictures here
✖
Reminds me. I've got two UPS with dead batteries. I'd been meaning to wire one with a marine trolling battery. I'd still like to, but I can't justify the $100 or so for the battery.
And the flashlight test is good. What do you do, to stay occupied? Read book? The four day power cut in 2003, I wrote a lot of letters. Even mailed some of them.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Stormin Mormon wrote:

If the electricity was off, how'd you use your word processor?
Add pictures here
✖
On 10/11/2010 2:58 PM, HeyBub wrote:

Hand crank.
TDD
Add pictures here
✖
Ancients like me use something called a "manual type writer". Ask someone elderly what that is.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Gee, I must be REALLY ancient - I use a ball-point pen. The REAL ancients used a fountain pen/ cartridge pen/quill
Add pictures here
✖
On 10/12/2010 7:24 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I use a rock.