Lighting a pavillion for picnic

This isn't the one where I was, but it's the same general idea. The church single adult hayride and campfire was held tonight. The host family has an aluminum structure some what like this. About 10 metal picnic tables under the aluminum roof. Of course, there wasn't light. The farmer had headlights on his tractor, and I had a ten dollar camping lantern from Walmart. There wasn't a good atachment point under the roof. There were a couple eye bolts, along the side. I used a bungee cord from there. The farmer and I discussed it. He's playing with the idea of some LED lights under the eaves, and run a power cord from the tractor . I suggested a two mantle propane camping lantern, which is plenty bright. He added that a pulley and rope in the center would be good. Run the light down for lighting, and up for use. We're going to have another picnic same time next year. And, I may wish to be lighting up a pavillion in the meantime. What are good lighting options? Propane lantern is good. I'm also thinking of some other fluorescent lamps. Come to think of it, I've got a couple 12 volt mechanics work lights, and I've got a 12 volt jumper pack. I could climb up, and bend a coat hanger, to suspend the work light from the ceiling.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

How much light do you want?

When we camp (and assuming there is electric) I string white rope lights through the frame of my pop-up canopies.

This provides enough light to hang out comfortably, play cards, etc. without being so bright that it feels like daytime.

On the other end of the spectrum (no pun intended) are a couple of these:

I split the stand on mine and inserted an extendable pole which get the fixtures over 10 feet in the air. Point them up towards the ceiling and raise them above eye level and you'd have enough light to do brain surgery with.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I'm picking up your vibrations. We're on the same wavelength. We need enough light to walk around, chat, and put more food on our plates, and in our mouths. I didn't see anyone reading, or performing surgery.

On another list, rope lights were suggested. I find them on Ebay, cheaply enough. And, they do have 12 volt versions. I had been thinking fluorescent mechanic lights. But, the rope lights seem well suited. Power them off a battery jumper pack, and then charge the jump pack on the way home. I've got a double ended lighter cord for recharging.

A couple 500 watters would be tough to power, the pavillion doesn't have electric. So, it's portable batteries of some kind. I don't have a large enough inverter, to power a 500 watter.

I did think of a clamp lamp with a spiral CF bulb. I do have a 150 watt inverter.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Somehow LEDs and a hay-ride don't seem to go together.

I'd get a half-dozen old-timey Kerosene lanterns, or one for each table. They don't put out a lot of light, but that's appropriate for the atmosphere.

They have other uses.

Some fool came down my street and hit the light pole in front of my house. The force of the collision completely uprooted a thirty-foot tall street light and landed it in my yard!

I called the light company a couple of times, but a week went by without them paying much attention to the issue.

So I got a 12' tree branch, put a small Kerosene lantern on one of the branches, and stuck the other end in the hole left by the extracted light pole.

I took a picture and emailed the snapshot (with the lantern burning bright) to the public relations office of Centerpoint (the power company). Mentioned I thought this might make a good human-interest story for the local TV folks.

You can imagine what happened next.

Reply to
HeyBub

How about some construction job site temporary lights...

The ones strung on wire with the lamp sockets spaced every 10' ?

Like these:

All you would need would be a small generator to plug them into and some light bulbs...

Sounds a bit more stable and less redneck than any of the other options and a lot less flammable since the generator and fuel can be located further away from the assembled crowd rather than being hung above the crowd in the light or knocked over if left on the table tops...

I assume that there are members of the picnic that have portable generators and that you could purchase a string or two of the work lights and some extra wire to get the lights working -- those could be stored and reused many times a lot safer than lamps fueled by Kerosene...

~~ Evan

Reply to
Evan

to light the picnic grove some CFLs and a 12 volt to 120 volt inverter will do the job great....

You could use 12 volt 50 watt incandescent bulbs but they are pricey and power piggies.

in addition there are 12 volt CFLs but they are very pricey

Reply to
hallerb

I've used the portable fold out fluorescents that run on 4 D cells. They run a long time and provide enough light to work in a room. Can't seem to find a pic on the web. Maybe they are no longer made...

Big Lots has carried kerosene lamps for a song, work well even the $2 minis. I gave quite a few to an Amish family, the kids loved them.

I'm not so sure that your portable propane light is not the best. It really depends on how much light you need.

I have also use the 12v fluorescent work lamps run off a car battery. Will go for days...

I don't see the LED strings as giving off enough light.

Jeff

Jeff

Come to think of it, I've got a couple 12

Reply to
Jeff Thies

Somehow LEDs and a hay-ride don't seem to go together.

CY: Couple of the folks had cell phones, which are also a culture clash.

I'd get a half-dozen old-timey Kerosene lanterns, or one for each table. They don't put out a lot of light, but that's appropriate for the atmosphere.

CY: I really like that idea. I've got a couple of the metal framed lamps, which would have been perfect. Now, I'd need screw eyes to hang the lamps overhead.

They have other uses.

Some fool came down my street and hit the light pole in front of my house. The force of the collision completely uprooted a thirty-foot tall street light and landed it in my yard!

CY: Ouch, that's not good. For the fool, or for the light.

I called the light company a couple of times, but a week went by without them paying much attention to the issue.

CY: Wow, they shoulda acted more promptly.

So I got a 12' tree branch, put a small Kerosene lantern on one of the branches, and stuck the other end in the hole left by the extracted light pole.

I took a picture and emailed the snapshot (with the lantern burning bright) to the public relations office of Centerpoint (the power company). Mentioned I thought this might make a good human-interest story for the local TV folks.

You can imagine what happened next.

CY: You got the bedbug letter?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

If you had the faith of a mustard seed, you could light the whole pavilion up like high noon with just two birthday candles and one tea light.

CY: The loaves is good, but I hate fish. Besides we were doing marshmallows and donuts. Doesn't mustard seed make mountains move? Closest we had was Hill Cumorah, which was about two miles away. Didn't want to move that. The church uses it for Pageant.

But seriously, whatever you do, this is a singles mixer. Make the lighting soft, moody, romantic. Tractor headlights aren't going to lead to any baby Mormons in 9 months.

CY: Yes, that's a thought. Tractor lights are a bit much for that kind of activity.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

The farmer was talking about some kind of 12 volt lights. He could power them off the golf cart battery set up. Or, off the tractor. The working lights are good, too. They could be strung up under the high point of the roof. Using smaller CF bulbs, they might work off a battery and inverter. Great idea. Generator is good, if a bit noisy. Battery and inverter is quieter.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

You know, that's a very good thought. Camper and RV supply places have the 12 volt incandescant. I'd be more tempted to use marker light fixtures from a junk yard, or dome light. Yes to power pigs, but pleasant light.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I've used the portable fold out fluorescents that run on 4 D cells. They run a long time and provide enough light to work in a room. Can't seem to find a pic on the web. Maybe they are no longer made...

CY: I've seen them at Home Depot. They are excellent, but they are also thirty bucks. The camping fluorescent I got was Walmart, ten bucks.

Big Lots has carried kerosene lamps for a song, work well even the $2 minis. I gave quite a few to an Amish family, the kids loved them.

CY: yes, I'd bet they do. Kerosene lamps hung from the high point of the roof sounds good, to me. I'd have to bend some metal rod, to make ceiling hooks. But,t hat can be done.

I'm not so sure that your portable propane light is not the best. It really depends on how much light you need.

CY: Not much light really needed. The one fluorescent was enoguh after eyes adjusted.

I have also use the 12v fluorescent work lamps run off a car battery. Will go for days...

CY: That's a good thought.

I don't see the LED strings as giving off enough light.

CY: I don't know. Never tried one.

Jeff

CY: Thanks, Jeff.

Jeff

CY: Thanks, Jeff.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Many people find propane lanterns either much too bright or much too noisy. Kerosene lamps (either pressurized or with wick and chimney) may be preferable.

Reply to
Don Phillipson

A cheap way would be to get some rectangular head lamps from the junkyard, old sealed beams. The yard might sell them for very little and if they're like some of folks I know, they would donate them if it's for a church function. You could put the lights high on the supports pointing up at the ceiling for indirect lighting. A couple of deep cycle batteries should keep them lit for quite a while. Keep the rugrats away from the setup and all should be well. 8-)

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Good idea (but still too bright for my way of thinking).

And children? At a singles gathering?

Methinks you're putting the cost before the heart.

Reply to
HeyBub

Kid size. I still remember them running around with them. Were they happy! For me, there's nothing that quite says rustic (or no power) like kerosene light.

Another thought. Push lamps, there's a zillion of them and you can put them wherever you need local light. The batteries cost more than the lights. Tea candles and such too. Put a few on each table. Some are wind proof. The tall devotional candle in a glass runs forever, and decorative.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Thies

Inverters are actually rated in volt amps, not watts, so you need to consider the power factor.

I just tested some CFLs here and the PF came in at a low low .43. So, if you had say a baby 60W inverter, only 24 watts.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Thies

Backup lights from some junkers then. Many singles these days have young offspring and a babysitting corral at a gathering is not an odd thing to have. Cost? Think creative use of monetary inventory. I love saving money and I'm only part Scottish.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

You're right about the noisy. I visited a friend, who had the power out. She was using propane lantern for light, but the hissing was irritating. That's the adavantage with wick lamps. Good thought, thank you.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

You know, I may have a couple round sealed beams. From my last vehicle. I think that's excellent idea, and also low budget.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon