Lighting a gas water heater pilot

Page 2 of 2

I'll keep this in mind for next time.

Wait a second. That sounds bad!

I've not done the Jesus method myself, but have been present when an electrician did. Worked fine. Fortunately, some store employee didn't notice the breaker trip, and reset it for him. That wouda been the Jesus Mutter Sputter method, for the second trip.
Maybe that's why gas men don't have eye brows?
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

LOL. Thanks. This is very applicable. The thing is lit now, but I was looking in the wrong direction and have no idea how long it took.

Call the gas co., they will probably do it for free.

Thanks for the idea.
As it turns out, my friend might have lit it Friday, or I might have lit it today. We were looking straight into the hole, and the pilot was way off to the left. I was lying on my left side and had to move towards my feet to finally see the pilot. So I don't know when it got lit.
The walk-through for the house is tomorrow or Tuesday and my friend, the seller, doesn't know when they are coming and he wanted the water to be hot in the morning.
Oh, while we there tonight, he called the plumber who put the WH in originally and asked about lighting with a match. The guy said it can't be done, but neither of us believed him (partly because one of you guys told me otherwise). The sparker is the same sort of thing one find on a gas grill for the patio. It might be a little hard to get a match, even a long match in there, but I'm sure we could do it. I brought a long thin candle.
It also turns out there was a class action and a recall on Whirlpool gas WH igniters, and his plumber got him one free, but since the WH is out of warranty (someone said, but the first link below says the warranty period is 9 years (although maybe that is on the tank not leaking and not on anything else???)) 5 years old, Whirlpool won't pay to have it installed, and the plumber wants 150 dollars! It doesn't look hard, but the old one is still working! And the house will probably be sold by Wednesday. I think he's going to give the new igniter (it's much bigger and more complicated than just that) to the new owner, and he can decide what to do. It's certainly not our place to start fiddling with a working water heater 3 days before the house is sold.
Thanks for all the help.
selected urls about the recall
Arthur, you should look at these! I think they are dated 2005 and 2006, when you bought yours iiuc. Remember, you'll need a water heater for your new home some day. :)
http://74.125.113.132/search?q che:rKfvVM_IOrYJ:www.terrylove.com/forums/showthread.php%3Ft%3D4362+recall+whirlpool+water+heater&cd=3&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=firefox-a
http://74.125.113.132/search?q che:qVKazGs1axUJ:www.consumeraffairs.com/homeowners/whirlpool_water_heaters.html+recall+whirlpool+water+heater&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=firefox-a
http://74.125.113.132/search?q che:QTGT1OrbDh4J:www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2006/05/whirlpool_water_heater.html+recall+whirlpool+water+heater&cd=2&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=firefox-a