Lighting a fixtureless room?

I just moved into a new apartment, and found that one of the rooms doesn't have a light fixture. There are outlets, however.
I'm trying to think of ways to light the room. I'm not crazy about someone having to walk across the room to turn on a lamp, especially as there's going to be a lot of stuff in the room.
My best idea so far is of a lamp with "The Clapper". There's gotta be a better solution.
Any suggestions? I'm pretty handy, but this is a rental apt (largely knob and tube!) and I'm not going to get too crazy.
Thanks in advance!
Scott
Scott Gordo wrote:

Check to see if one of the outlets is connected to a light switch. That's common. TB
Scott Gordo wrote:

check these remote switches...
http://www.comforthouse.com/nonam2.html
http://www.dimango.com/hw2170d_2.htm
in buffalo ny: we have a 1910 home with many rooms as you describe. 1. the clapper. [audio switch.] generally amusing but less so when others are asleep. 2. battery transmitter cordlessly switches 110 outlet on/off from transmitter location such as at entry doorway. i just bought this last week at lowe's. 3. there are many inexpensive day/night nightlights 4 to 7 watt bulbs. 4. harder to find are motion detector [with day/night] nightlights. see also lowe's where i bought this item also. i have found in fort erie canada at canadian tire in the past. 5. especially around the christmas season you will find a long corded switch [often green] for a christmas tree light set to be switched from beyond the tree branches. its male plugs into the wall and the christmas lights or your lamp plug into its female, while your cord with switch at its end meets you at the entrance door. 6. again for christmas i find strings of led bulbs which can give you up to 100 miniature colored or assorted colors or white night lights for a room at from 1-4 watts of usage per string. incredible energy savings but not the equivalent brightness for an old fashioned display style.
Scott Gordo wrote:

I've found white ones at Lowe's at other times.

Mark Lloyd

How about a $15 outdoor motion detector fixture?
Nick
Scott Gordo wrote:

X-10 controller and outlet?
Jerry