Lightening

Page 2 of 2

ShadowTek wrote:

Shrug. Induced current. Back in dial-up days, I once lost a modem to a distant lightning strike, even though the phones kept working fine. They said it was likely the local loop acting as antenna for the stray current. In your case, if the TV had a roof antenna, you acting as a ground probably kept the TV from getting fried. I presume it was on one of those game<->tv RF modulator switch boxes?
-- aem sends...

Was it a USRobitics modem? I had lightning hit mine twice. They replaced it both times. It would burn out the phone port but all the lights still worked. My phones were unaffected as well. I should have taken that as a warning, but I didn't.
I had a lightning hit again and burned up two computers through the LAN cards. Both the phone and the cable were bonded to the copper water pipe.
I ended up driving a separate ground rod for the copper pipe in my basement and bonding it to my existing ground rod.
?

Ditto. I lost 2 with the same symptoms. I think they had a design flaw. I changed brands and never had it happen since.
Red

I think that I had cable run to the TV at that point, but I can't remember clearly. The console had always been run through RCA plugs.
Another interesting fact that I forgot to mention: I was in a treehouse at the time, which was actually at a higher point than any other part of the house. lol
ShadowTek wrote:

As teenagers, as friend and I were getting out of a creek, pulling on the farmers barbed wire fence, a strike hit about a half mile away, not sure how close to the fence it hit. With our feet in water and our hands on the fence, we got zapped but not nearly as bad as you may think. Probably took a path down every wet fence post before reaching us.

Years back at an Army infiltration course (barbed wire overhead, GIs crawling underneath, 1/4 sticks of tnt in sandbagged berms exploding near them, live machine gun fire overhead), lightning struck the controllers bunker, injured a few, went down the control wiring and set off every charge in the course at the same time.

Wow. That's why I never crawl under barbed wire with TNT nearby.
On Tue, 10 Aug 2010 18:40:07 -0400, LSMFT wrote:

A proximity strike can energize you plumbing. You decide from there.
LSMFT wrote:

It is possible but most of it would *probably* take the path through the casing and into the ground. I don't shower during a thunderstorm.

NO! LIGHTNING IS NATURAL ELECTRICITY ELECTRICITY TRAVELS THROUGH THE EASIEST AND SHORTEST PATH TO GROUND REACHING YOUR SHOWER HEAD IS NOT IN IT'S AGENDA [;)
IAP