Lighten stain on kitchen cabinets

Hi everyone,

I've seen several past posts about stripping kitchen cabinets, but all I want to do is lighten the stain. The cabinets aren't exactly what I want in my 21 year old house (just bought it a year ago), but if I can get the stain lighter, that'd make me much happier.

I don't mind doing the job myself, but I have no idea where to begin. I know the cabinet doors will be done outside or in the garage, but what about the cabinets themselves inside? I can't really take them off the walls.

Thanks for any suggestions or comments,

Alex.

Reply to
Alex

You'll need to remove the finish before you can get to the stain. After the finish is removed, wipe with mineral spirits to see if any of the stain is removed. If not, there are wood bleaching chemicals that you can use. Paint is another (easier) option.

Reply to
Phisherman

IF the stain was put on properly i.e. John F Long homes or Knoell homes in Az. Then your option is paint or a long and vicious run with stripper. I tried to remove the stain from one door, a small one use 1/2 can of a quart of stripper, this is 2 times got it to a dull brown. I ripped the cabinets out and moved them to the garage and painted them. Good luck if it was properly done it is damned near impossible to reverse.

My experience only.... have fun

Reply to
SQLit