Lightbulb Filament Replacement

Page 1 of 3

Since in a few years incandescent bulbs will become banned, I wonder if anyone will come out with a filament replacement kit for people who want to continue using the old incandescent bulbs? It's just a small piece of tungstun wire, it's just attaching it and removing all the air in the bulb.

The upcoming incandescent ban has a wide range of exemptions. I see little need to repair burnt-out lightbulbs with tungsten wire replacement (which requires lack of oxygen in the bulb).
I mention many exceptions as in I like to think loopholes that the Mississippi River can be rerouted through, in:
http://members.misty.com/don/incban.html

Does that mean I can't use my large based 1500 watt bulb I have, about 8 " in dia. & 12" tall ???
Jerry
I also have a 500 & 1000 watt bulb from an old foundry, great in the winter.As long as you don't look into them. Jerry
On 9/14/2010 12:34 AM, snipped-for-privacy@myplace.com wrote:

It's not a vacuum, I do believe there is an inert gas in the bulb. I suppose a market for a bulb that can be rebuilt may develop. The TV picture tube was an item that was available as a rebuilt replacement for a number of years. I used to change them out all the time back in the last century. 8-)
TDD
On Sep 14, 12:34am, snipped-for-privacy@myplace.com wrote:

Why bother considering this when lighting that consumes 75-80% less energy, that lasts longer, is readily avalaible. Incandesants are outdated. I only use them in the frige, oven and a few other locations.
On 9/14/2010 6:08 AM, ransley wrote:

What's going to happen to the light bulb that appears above your head when you have an idea? 8-)
TDD

its a cfl,
On Tue, 14 Sep 2010 06:07:12 -0700, ransley wrote:

It takes a long time to reach full brightness, isn't very bright when it does, it casts a sickly glow over things, and you get mercury in your hair if it breaks? ;-)
On Sep 14, 8:47am, Jules Richardson

Read some reviews of cfls, Consumer Reports just updated theirs and HDs cfls are tops again, and cheapest , and best warranty.
On Tue, 14 Sep 2010 13:47:54 +0000, Jules Richardson wrote:

Most CFLs take less than a second to reach full brightness. IIRC, it's the floodlights that take too long.
Gary H wrote the following:

We're all gonna die.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

My experience is that most bare-bulb CFLs are at about 1/3 of full brightness when they start and actually get going, give-or-take depending mostly on temperature. And they get close to full brightness in half a minute to a minute.
And, that ones with outer bulbs around them start around or even under 1/10 of full brightness, and take 2, maybe 3 minutes to warm up. This does vary with the temperature that they have to warm up from.

I'd expect Pres. Obama to appoint a czar to tell us how many bright ideas we can have.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
The Daring Dufas wrote:

You need BRIGHT ideas, only then will you need a pop-up lamp.
On 9/14/2010 4:06 PM, Sjouke Burry wrote:

Are you trying to insult me?!! Keep trying, I had Irish nuns for teachers, nothing bothers me. 8-)
TDD
Did you ever sneak in while they were sleeping, and play connect the dots on their faces?
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
The Daring Dufas wrote:

Dont sent those nuns over please.
On 9/14/2010 7:08 AM, ransley wrote:

How inconsiderate. Not considering the feelings of all the Tea Party conservatives that long to keep their 100W incandescents.
Jeff
I only use them in the frige, oven and a few other

Will you replace the filaments in your fridge bulb, oven bulb, and other locations bulbs?
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus