Light Timer Instructions?

I've forgotten How to turn on my lights!
I have a wall mouned timer which looks like a 1" dial which one presses as an on/off OR you rotate and press in a paricular sequence to invoke the timer mode (2 cycles over 24 hours) Well the instructions are cleverly printed on a small sticker which was affixed to the adjacient door jam and now it somhow got torn off.
THis is a fairly common mechanism, but I don't want to buy a new one JUST to get the directions. (No I don't have the make/model).
Can anyone who recognizes this scant description and is familiiar with the device either: A) provide me with a manufacturer's name (so I can ask them) - OR B) recount the turn/click sequence to reset my device??
Many thanks for your charitable assistance!
regards Martin
mf wrote:

If you remove the plastic cover (you will likely need to remove the round handle first, you should see the manufacturer name and the model number on the device, hopefully with a UL approval as well. Be careful as there are live wires close to where you will be looking.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
If you turn the dial and switch and nothing happens something is wrong, try a bulb, and fuse panel. Or its likely broke
On Sun, 4 Dec 2005 11:20:10 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (m Ransley) wrote:

I am amazed at your complete grasp of the obvious. lmao
Turn the lever to the off position, then back on. Turn the dial to the time of day- press the button. Turn the dial to the time lights should turn on- press the button. Turn the dial to the time lights should go off- press the button. turn the dial until red LED glows continuously - Done

mf wrote:

Your description sounds like the Intermatic EJ351. Here's a brief programming procedure:
- Turn switch OFF for 5 seconds to clear memory then turn back ON. - Turn dial to present time of day and press once. - Turn dial to desired light on time and press once. - Turn dial to desired light off time and press once. - Repeat above two steps if more on/off sequences are needed in a 24 hour period. - Turn dial past current time of day to go into automatic mode. Press dial to turn light on or off manually.

I think Bob is right, but in a case like this, you could buy a new one, copy the instructions, and return the thing to the store. If you read one thread you know I don't like stealing, but this wouldn't be that, imho. The cost to the store would be very small.
BTW when I buy something in the welded heavy plastic bubble-packs, and there is even a remote chance I'd want to return it, I open the package with a bandsaw, cutting just inside the weld. They can resell it that way, can't they?
I'm not sure if Iwould mix the two together, sawing the package open and planning for sure to return it.

so at what cost does it become stealing?

No stealing necessary. If you know the model, almost all companies have pdfs of their manuals online.
Chances are, the make is Intermatic, but it could be Leviton, or something else. If it's an Intermatic EJ351, like Bob said, the instructions can be found here:
http://www.intermatic.com/images/instruction_sheets/158ej11589.pdf
If not, you can find the model like Joseph described, or wander around online looking at pictures until you see one that looks likes yours. Google "timer switch" and you should find plenty.