Light source behind marble tiles

I bought marble tiles for my bathroom. The tiles are semitransparent and look very nice when I shine a light is from behind the tiles.
I'd like to put an even light source behind the tiles. There is not much space - half an inch maybe. I tried using leds but I don't look good (even). Plexiglass or acrylic could also work but has anybody any tips how to do it?

Quick addition: The light effect is show in http://www.trendir.com/archives/002612.html
The honey colored marble has a nice light.
On 3/28/2009 12:23 PM Bob spake thus:

The only light source I can think of that's thin enough to fit in your half-inch space are electroluminescent (EL) panels. Problem is, the only color I know of that they come in is an ugly green.
Wonder if a piece of clear plastic could be used as a "light pipe", with the light source below or to the side?
mostly pears.

put lamps in wall

*I seem to recall seeing walkway lights embedded in manmade stone, but I can't remember any details. Perhaps a lighting store may help.
I think there is such a thing as luminescent tape.
I hope that you are not planning to put these lit tiles in the bathtub surround.
How about a mirror and rope light around the outside edge. I think the mirror will bounce the light for you, but I'm not sure that the led's are bright enough.
--
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

I think leds are your best bet but you'll need some kind of diffuser(s) to create an even light source -- a translucent sheet of perspex/acrylic?
Keep in mind that some leds will eventually fail. Replacement will likely be very tricky. I'm not sure I'd bother without access to perform the maintenance that WILL be necessary soon or later.
What is the adhesive you will be using? Will the light shine thru it as well?