light fixture panel

The tenants move out of the rental with the kitchen light fixture missing the translucent lens panel. This is one of those four fluorescent 4 feet long light fixture in a sheet metal frame using a translucent panel. The pabel is four feet long and less than 2 feet wide. I tried Home Depot. It has translucent panels only 2'x4'. Anywhere else should I look? I am afraid the panel will crack if I cut it.
You will have to cut it, they all come in 2X4. Depending on the panel you can sometimes score it with a razor blade and snap it along the line. Otherwise a jig saw would be best, a circular or table saw will turn it to splinters unless you have a balde with many teeth. An ordinary hack saw should work too but you will need to support the edge you want to keep pretty well while you cut.
A smaller hardware store or plastics specialty store or glass company might cut it for you. Also check lighting specialty stores. Expect to pay more than HD.

PipeDown wrote:

If you have a circular saw get a cheap plywood blade (lots of teeth ~150) and mount it backwards for cutting plastic.
PipeDown wrote:

Thanks. I scored it with a utilit knife and cut it. Ending up with a small 1" long crack in the middle. I could have avoided it if I was more careful.