light fixture panel

The tenants move out of the rental with the kitchen light fixture missing the translucent lens panel. This is one of those four fluorescent 4 feet long light fixture in a sheet metal frame using a translucent panel. The pabel is four feet long and less than 2 feet wide. I tried Home Depot. It has translucent panels only 2'x4'. Anywhere else should I look? I am afraid the panel will crack if I cut it.

Reply to
yaofeng

You will have to cut it, they all come in 2X4. Depending on the panel you can sometimes score it with a razor blade and snap it along the line. Otherwise a jig saw would be best, a circular or table saw will turn it to splinters unless you have a balde with many teeth. An ordinary hack saw should work too but you will need to support the edge you want to keep pretty well while you cut.

A smaller hardware store or plastics specialty store or glass company might cut it for you. Also check lighting specialty stores. Expect to pay more than HD.

Reply to
PipeDown

If you have a circular saw get a cheap plywood blade (lots of teeth ~150) and mount it backwards for cutting plastic.

Reply to
RayV

Thanks. I scored it with a utilit knife and cut it. Ending up with a small 1" long crack in the middle. I could have avoided it if I was more careful.

Reply to
yaofeng