Light Fixture Manual Omits Key Feature

*** Vent Mode On ***

I bought a Portfolio (Lowe's brand) Motion Sensing light fixture the other day and was RTFM to make sure there was nothing strange about the installation/set up that I should be aware of. When I got done RTFM, I realized that they didn't mention anything about how to override the motion sensor and turn the fixture on manually. We use that feature with our existing fixture and didn't want to lose it.

I called their Customer Service department and the rep told me that he wasn't sure if the model I bought has that feature. He mentioned that for the models that specifically include that feature, the override method was a rapid toggle of the power switch Off-On-Off-On. I was free to try that if I wish.

I took the fixture down to workshop, plugged my suicide cord into a power strip, and tested the motion sensor, timer, etc. Once I was sure that everything work properly, I toggled the power strip Off-On-Off-On. The fixture flashed 3 times and then stayed on way past the timer setting. I then manually toggled the power strip Off-On to reset the fixture to Motion Sensing mode.

None of the above steps were even hinted at in the manual. Since the engineers obviously built the override logic into the circuitry, even including a "flash 3 times" indicator, you would think that the tech writers would have included the instructions in the manual.

*** Vent Mode Off ***
Reply to
DerbyDad03

From what I can figure, common sense is lacking, in so many levels of government, industry, etc.

. Christ> *** Vent Mode On ***

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Maybe that portion didn't translate from Chinese?

Reply to
KLayton888

It is way past time for QR codes to take off. This is a perfect reason. I am told that some makers are putting QR codes on the boxes of products. With some products you can scan the code and get a demo of the product's uses to your smart phone right there in the store. Although I have never seen one, the QR code should also come with a link to video assembly instructions as well.

Some smart phones apps are so cool, it would be nice to be able to use them on a desktop.

Reply to
Metspitzer

That's a good idea, although some folks are still in paper mode and need/want a manual. (Not me)

However, a "QR code manual" would be very easy to update, so i like the idea. On the other hand, even if the manual for my fixture was online, the root cause still exists: someone, by mistake or by design, left that feature out of the manual. It would take a consumer (like me) who knows what features a motion sensing fixture might have to inform them that the manual was lacking. Other (most?) consumers would probably just ignore it or not even realize that some fixtures have that feature, thus no phone call would be made.

On line or not, I doubt my question to the CSR would trigger an update to the manual. In a perfect world, yes, but that's not where we live.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

If that were the reason, then they've committed themselves to the 3 model numbers printed on the cover, the fixture design based on the picture on the cover, the timer choices (4 or 10 mins), the number of seconds the light remains on when power is applied (45), the operating temperature range and many other specific features that *are* listed in the manual.

Since I have other motion sensor fixtures with different values for some of the items listed above, i know that they are not 'fixed' values across all vendors. I doubt they've forced themselves to remain with one vendor of the sensor circuitry just to save printing costs.

If I'm not mistaken, the manual override for the motion sensor is a common feature across all of my motion sensors, although the method to activate it differs slightly. I'm guessing that reprinting the manual is not the reason they omitted any mention of the manual override feature.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

not including certain features on the box and instruction may encourage shoppers to buy a more expensive more profitable model.....

Reply to
bob haller