Light Fixture

I want to put an outdoor light fixture on my shed.
It will have a light sensor on it so that I do not have to bother turning it off and on.
It is one of those cheap light fixtures that has a clear glass cover that looks like a canning jar. The problem is that when I insert the light sensor, and then put the light bulb on top of that, it only leaves about 1/4 of an inch of space at the bottom of the jar cover.
The bulb is a 60 watt. Is this going to get too hot and maybe explode?
Thanks.
Corinne
i believe that due to reflection the sensor will be confused and turn the light off in your example. i believe you are describing an indoor photo-eye device. other options: 1. replace with a 60 watt incandescent fixture with a photo-eye already in it 2. or replace with a 13 watt flourescent fixture with a photo-eye already in it 3. or add an outdoor photo-eye mounted on an outdoor electrical box for your present fixture.

I have to question the several recommendations for a fluorescent bulb used with a photo sensor in this thread, based on my recent experience.
I mounted entry lights at front and back doors with photo sensors built into the fixture. Installed 13 watt compact fluorescent bulbs. Early failure of both bulbs at about 200 hours of use. Repeated with different brand bulbs -- same result. I concluded, and this has been confirmed by several comments I've read on newsgroups, that the repeated blinking of the lights at dusk cannot be tolerated by these bulbs. I'm now using 40 watt incandescents as the cheaper alternative.
SJF

I installed an 18 watt (75 watt equiv) CFL in our outdoor post (it has a photocell control built into it). It's been three years now and I haven't had to replace it yet. It runs every night, all night.

Much better situation. I got reflection off the wall which caused the blinking at turn-on. With your post mounted light, you should have been able to avoid the blinking. Off wall mounting, if convenient, is obviously the better way to do it.
SJF

Sent the following reply earlier but doesn't show in the newsgroup here.
Much better situation. I got reflection off the wall which caused the blinking at turn-on. With your post mounted light, you should have been able to avoid the wall reflection and the blinking. Off wall mounting, if convenient, is obviously the better way to do it.
SJF
If it overheats, it'll burn the lamp out prematurely. You might try a physically smaller lamp like an appliance lamp

That won't help in itself, but fewer watts would, or holes near the top.
Nick
The add on sensor may burn out from heat, get a lamp with sensor buit in, as you will see the sensor is outside the bulb area of heat. For dusk to dawn use a flourescent fixture they use 25% as much electricity. A 15 watt flourescent will be equal to 60 incandesant and the bulb will last much longer.
I have had a few of the exact fixtures you describe. No, nothing will explode. It will be fine.
To save a few pennys on electricity cost you can use a compact florecent rated for outdoor use, to get longer life of the bulb you can use a bulb rated 130v.
Seems you have a 60w bulb already, just install it and be done with it. When the buld burns out just replace it with what you have on hand or get something different. No big deal. The fixture probably says 60W max and UL listed, just do not use higher than what its rated for and you will be fine.