Light fixture

I have an outdoor light fixture mounted to the side of the house next to the front door under our porch. I have a compact fluorescent bulb in the fixture and when it is on, there is a pulse to the light. I have tried different CF bulbs and the same thing, whether higer or lower in wattage. I currently have a 16watt bulb in there now. Does this mean the fixture needs replacing, or what. There are two other fixtures, both on three way switches and are fine with the CF bulbs. Both are 26watts.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Does this fixture share a branch circuit that has anything such as an aquarium heater on the same circuit ?? Anything that would cycle on and off by itself ? refrigerator, freezer, laser printer, waterbed heater, etc
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Is it on a dimmer switch ??

As far as a branch, I dont believe it is on anything that would cause a disturbance. I don't believe it is a dimmer switch either.
On Sun, 16 Sep 2007 19:51:07 -0700, bigjcw1023 wrote:

If you have a photo cell that turns the light on they will pulse when turning on at dusk and off in the morning but this will burn out the electronics in the bulb base and it will fail in a couple of months. That's when I read the instructions on the second bulb. ;-(

Not a photosensor. Just a plain old fixture.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Can you describe the "pulse" please? How frequently does it occur, how long do the "dim" periods last, etc.
Have you tried a regular incandescent bulb in that fixture recently? If so, does it light OK?
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)

As others have indicated, any kind of dimmer, photocell or other than a standard switch in the circuit could cause the flickering problem. CFLs may also flicker when cold. However, that flicker will quickly disappear as the lamp warms up especially if the lamp is in an enclosed fixture.
TKM

It is in a bottom open fixture and the incandescent lights up fine.
On Sep 17, 3:52 pm, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Correction! The incandescent does not light either. Time for a new fixture!
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Or maybe just a new socket?
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)
On Sun, 16 Sep 2007 19:51:07 -0700, bigjcw1023 wrote:

My experience with CF bulbs is they do not always screw in as tightly or completely as regular bulbs for whatever reason. I would first assume that the bulb is not making solid contact with socket. Grab the porcelain base of the bulb and turn a bit tighter. Grabbing by bulb glass is unwise since the bulbs do break readily.