Light Fixture

In my new Town Home, the builder has provided a hanging light on the side of the living room. I want to move this to the center of the room and possibly put a new lighting unit.

How easy is it to move the existing fixture from the other part to the center. The distance is about 4 feet (between the current fixture and the center of the room).

Thanks

SR.

Reply to
newbee

You got a few variables involved: What's the ceiling made of? Is there attic above it? Do you want to eliminate the current ceiling outlet?

Reply to
RBM

There is no attic on top. Its in the middle level with about 20" joists, so I may have to cut a circular hole for the new fixture. I want to reuse the existing switch/wiring of the other light fixture, so, I can probably close it off after I move it to the center.

How easy or hard is it to accomplish this

Thanks

SR.

Reply to
newbee

If you have 20 inch joists, they must be trusses, this is good as it allows you to snake cable in two directions. You can get a retrofit fan/chandelier outlet box such as Westinghouse 1100 from electrical supply or HD. with this box, you just cut a 4 inch round hole in the ceiling and the bar and box goes up and expands to the joists, but before you install the box, shoot a wire snake from a knock out of the existing lighting outlet to the new location. Once you've installed the box and fixture, splice the cables together in the existing box, and install a flush black plate like "invisoplate" which is barley noticeable

Reply to
RBM

Sorry, was in a hurry. you need to attach a cable of the same gauge as existing, to the wire snake and pull it back into the existing outlet box from the new location

Reply to
RBM