Light Dimmer Switch

About 15 years ago a dimmer switch was installed in our bathroom. It controls a mirror with 7 light receptable. We use 40W in each receptable. I have noticed that the wall plate is warm to the touch after the lights have been on for a short time. The control knob feels normal and appears to be doing its job.

Should I be concerned about the warmth of the wall plate or is this normal?

Thanks for your advice.

Reply to
Lamb 1944

It's normal. You just never noticed it over the last 15 years.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

the dimmer switch makes the light dimmer by resistance in the circuit.. that is why it gets hot.. this is normal......

Reply to
jim

Well, the dimming is probably not done directly by resistance... unless it is a VERY old dimmer. More likely it is a triac.

Travis Jordan