Light Bulbs are getting Expensive / New Tax

Page 5 of 6

Compare Washington,DC's crime with the nearby Virginia cities,where guns ARE allowed.If easy access to guns were the problem,then Virginia's crime would be far higher than DC's,but it's the opposite.
Criminals prefer unarmed victims.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
On Wed, 05 Sep 2007 16:55:10 +0000, Jim Yanik wrote:

What's the old cliche? When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns?
Phisherman wrote: ...

I heard somewhere just the other day (I don't recall precisely where, but do remember thinking at the time it seemed a little unusual so I'm wondering if it wasn't NPR's All Things Considered or something similar) that despite the above common assertion that other places have more -- seems like Israel was one of the other places specifically mentioned...

Does Switzerland still require every able bodied man to be trained in gun use? I heard gun ownership is high there too, which would certainly explain why it is a very low-crime country. I dont know, just asking, maybe somebody from there is reading.
RickH wrote:

Correlation doesn't imply causation.
Maybe the fact that every male is militarily trained leads to both reduced crime and increased gun ownership. Maybe reduced crime is due to higher employment, population demographics, cultural bias, or something else entirely.
Chris

Correct Chris: This is along way from light bulbs. CFL or otherwise.
The ownership, use of guns and gun violence is very much factor of the culture and type of society; a childish remark, such as the one about 'Inspectors and bullets' would be unacceptable in most civilized societies! Whereas in Iraq for example, it has been said every house has an AK47 or the equivalent and if some hot head gets into an argument with a neighbour .................... ! or doesn't like a particular 'brand ' of religion!
Until age 22 I lived in a society where gun ownership was rarity. My father who was in the over-age (Home Guard) defence force during WWII did not retain any weapons and voluntarily surrendered his Colt 45 after the war to the local police, for disposal, after using it with blanks, as a starter's pistol for school events for a couple of years. There was never any suggestion of keeping it. Even then the blanks were kept separately from the locked up revolver. Gun violence in that country was and still is a rarity.
As a reservist in the mid-late 1950s I was trained in the use of at least two military weapons (I was quite a good shot actually) and would have served if called up. Gun safety was a paramount requirement; no point shooting your own people!
Since then have also been fortunate to have lived in a society where there is no need to own a gun at all; I could get a rifle or a shotgun to go hunting; but have no need. And therefore no responsibility to control it or its ammunition. Friends who occasionally may own a gun (in this somewhat rural part of Canada) usually have an old ex- military rifle that their deceased father used to own for occasional moose or other hunting. And these are registered and kept securely locked up. For example I have never seen a Lee Enfield that my good neighbor is said to own and don't expect to!
We notice that many of our southern neighbours are questioning what they feel are increasing restrictions on personal freedoms through your systems of government; both federal, state and city. Also what would appear to be the over-influence of industry lobbyists on elected reps. and government employees. Rather than the wishes of 'ordinary folk'. That's your business except as it occasionally affects us; your biggest trading partner. Also the US passion for owning guns stemming from having an armed militia back some couple of hundred years ago? Rather like Switzerland's reservist army? Again that is your business and none of ours to comment.
But gee! You do have a lot of guns that occasionally spill over the border into Canada.
But it quite evident that fewer guns around leads to less gun violence; criminals can always get and use guns, often illegally imported from the USA. In Canada there are far fewer guns around in private hands for them to steal/get their hands on. Also the illegal (unregistered) possession of a gun, especially hand guns, is a crime in itself. So for a criminal to use a gun at all in the commission of crime becomes much clearer than "My neighbour was being an a**ole so I waved my hand gun at him and unfortunately it went off!"; illegal gun use is considered serious and carries a higher penalty.
We do have trouble spots in a couple of major cities mainly due to gangs. But gun crime and related death rates overall are extremely low.
Well, there is that little thing called the SECOND AMENDMENT.
Oh, wait, you live in Canadia...nevermind.

before 1968,when the US passed it's 1968 Gun Control Act,guns were MUCH more easily available,could be mailordered,bought across state lines,no ID needed,were sold at hardware stores,school kids brought them to school for use at school gun clubs or on,the way home,virtually NO restrictions,yet gun violence was low. People didn't lock their doors.People were more moral and law-abiding. enacting more and more gun control has not made things any safer.

Comparing a tribal society to Western,democratic society is not honest. the two are NOT equivalent.

Not because of a lack of guns,but because of cultural or other reasons.

In YOUR opinion.Others have other situations.

No need for self-defense against criminals(or an enraged ex- husband or a stalker)? Bull. Only because you are isolated and rural. But you would force others with a real need to go without.

the mere sight of a gun is no need for fear.

the influence they have is that of CITIZENS who vote.

You hardly know what "ODCs" are thinking.

Yes,they came in handy in overthrowing the incumbent oppressive government;the British. Without them,the job would have been near impossible. Note the first thing the Brits tried was to DISARM the colonists. (of course,they have benefitted greatly from the formation of the USofA.)

you are free to comment;that's part of a free society.

Gee,what a surprise....that criminals will smuggle in guns to areas with tighter controls on them.

Usually with an increase in other crime,as people cannot defend themselves and their property.Criminals know they are safe,don't have to fear their prey.

LMAO.Since when do criminals care about something being a crime?
The FACT that Canadians are smuggling guns into Canada shows that there is a criminal demand and use for them *in Canada*(presumably by CANADIANS). BTW,a criminal does not have to FIRE a gun to use it in a crime.It greatly aids them in dominating a victim,though.
Nor does a ODC(ordinary decent citizen) have to fire a gun to use it in self-defense;often the crook chooses to flee when their victim produces a gun,thus no shot need be fired,and in fact it is criminal to shoot a fleeing crook that is no threat to you anymore.

as it does here in the US. Too bad judges often choose to NOT apply those stiffer penalties. (appointed judges,not subject to elections)

Because the crooks can prey on people with other items like knives and clubs.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Switzerland has a high rate of home presence of guns larger than handguns, and strict laws on carrying them around.
I would feel safer if everyone (without criminal record or record of specific disqualifying mental illness in past specific X years) had a gun of the size of what is in Swiss homes (or maybe a little bigger), and nobody is allowed to have anything smaller.
snipped-for-privacy@manx.misty.com (Don Klipstein) wrote in

Oh,yeah,THAT's going to keep criminals from getting handguns,or threatening people with other weapons,or simply by being bigger,stronger,or more numerous.I note that police cars are now targeted for burglary to take their guns. Orlando police have lost several that way,if a few short months;two were a silenced machine pistol and a full-size full-auto rifle.The Feds have lost even more,over 600,the last I read,some full-auto machine guns. (and what's to keep someone from sawing off a rifle or shotgun? it happens often enough)
Of course,you were right when you said your would "FEEL safer",because that's what it's all about;your "feelings",not anything rational or practical. Just Utopian wishful thinking.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Does that mean that all the crooks that sell on ebay carry guns? There sure are a lot of them on ebay.
snipped-for-privacy@noemail.com wrote in

Buyer beware.
on 9/5/2007 1:16 PM snipped-for-privacy@noemail.com said the following:

I met a crook one time that didn't carry a gun, so I gave him one.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
On Tue, 04 Sep 2007 19:37:23 +0000, kpg* wrote:

Well the price of ammo has jumped in price since it was classified as an explosive recently.

Do these bullets contain lead? Lead is a hazardous material, which must be disposed of properly.
Harry wrote:

Can you think of a better way to dispose of them?
Best regards, Bob
Few years ago I have contacted my police department at time I want dispose of some old ammo and guess they did not wanted I guess I will need to dispose of it into garbage Tony

On Tue, 04 Sep 2007 12:52:42 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@couchmail.com wrote:

The US has to pay for Bush's War one way or another.

More Bush Derangement Syndrome. get help.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
snipped-for-privacy@couchmail.com wrote:

I also understand that in order to make this new tax more palatable, the government will now legalize the dope you are smoking.
[8~{} Uncle Monster