i recently had to replace a couple of light bulbs on my ceiling fan. when i
went to take one out, the glass seperated from the part that actually screws
in... the second and third bulbs did the same.... it felt tight (the
connecting metal part) as i was trying to unscrew them. is there something i
could put on the metal threads to keep that from happening again?
thanks in advance
I've never seen that automotive dielectric grease used on 115AC circuits
before, I'll have to go look at the package regarding that issue. That
stuff does rock on automotive connectors though!
I have always found that the cheapo bulbs tend to have this problem more
often then the name brand bulbs. One thing to look for though is bulbs are
rated for the base position when burned. I suspect that your ceiling fan
uses the bulbs in a 'base up' position, or at enough of an angle to be
considered base up, and the bulbs you are using are only rated for 'base
down' to 'horizontal' use. This too would cause the problem you describe.
I would check that before I started messing with putting any grease in
Hope this helps!
Dielectric grease ( I get mine from the auto parts store.) can help.
You also should try to make sure you buy only real brass based lamps. The
aluminum based ones (even those colored to look like brass) tend to have
those problems. The same goes for the metal in the socket.
That's just a fancy name for "nose oil".
Rub the threads of the bulb against the side of your nose. Unless
yopu've got extremely dry skin enough oil will transfer onto the threads
to keep it from sticking.
Always available and the price is right.
Nose oil is handy for lubing stuff. Clock makers of old used to use it
on shaft bearings and such.
On Tue, 20 Feb 2007 17:42:05 -0500, "Charles Schuler"
On the lightbulbs or on your nose?
BTW, around here at the auto stores, dielectric grease comes in thin
plastic envelopes, a little over an inch square. On a rack with 4
other envelopes, holding spark plug no-freeze, spark plug boot
no-stick, and a couple other things.
Or you can buy a tube of Sil-Glyde which is pretty much the same stuff
and will be a lifetime supply. Unless you lose your tube like I did. :(
You will find tons of uses for the stuff; it's also good for spark plug
boots, distributor rubbing blocks (assuming you have a car that still
has points) packing automotive light sockets to prevent corrosion
(especially if they've already corroded and you've had to wire-brush
through the cad plating) and assembling calipers and wheel cylinders.
Also makes a good lube for sliding brake parts. Also if you rub some on
your car's door weatherstrip, your door won't freeze shut and the rubber
will last a lot longer.
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
Bulb EZ light bulb lubricant works great and sure solved the problem for me. I
bought two of the little tubs about 5 years ago thinking it would be hard to
find later. Actually, you use so little that one tub will probably last you
damned near forever.
The stuff has the appearance of silicon grease but the consistency of a soft
plastic. A little goes a looooong way.
update on my bulb problem....
before i could even think of resolving this problem, a family member took a
new bulb and put petroleum jelly on one of the threads, now when it starts
to warm up, it stinks! i took the bulb out and cleaned it as best i could,
but it still stinks (from the female threads i'm sure). what can i clean
everything with to get rid of the jelly without causing problems?
this easy problem has turned into something stupid. lol
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.