light bulbs

i recently had to replace a couple of light bulbs on my ceiling fan. when i went to take one out, the glass seperated from the part that actually screws in... the second and third bulbs did the same.... it felt tight (the connecting metal part) as i was trying to unscrew them. is there something i could put on the metal threads to keep that from happening again?

thanks in advance

Reply to
FH

Go to an auto parts store and get a little tube of dielectric grease. Put a very thin film of it on the threads of the new light bulbs.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Dielectric grease ( I get mine from the auto parts store.) can help. You also should try to make sure you buy only real brass based lamps. The aluminum based ones (even those colored to look like brass) tend to have those problems. The same goes for the metal in the socket.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

I like the real brass idea, but it's sort of hard to buy a ceiling fan and specify custom features like that.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Or to find brass shell bulbs. All of today's brass is being used to make monkeys.

Reply to
Charles Schuler

Use squalene.

That's just a fancy name for "nose oil".

Rub the threads of the bulb against the side of your nose. Unless yopu've got extremely dry skin enough oil will transfer onto the threads to keep it from sticking.

Always available and the price is right.

Nose oil is handy for lubing stuff. Clock makers of old used to use it on shaft bearings and such.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Use Vaseline. Some dielectric greases are nothing but Petroleum Jelly.

Reply to
tnom

If your nose is dry, try WD40.

Reply to
Charles Schuler

On the lightbulbs or on your nose?

BTW, around here at the auto stores, dielectric grease comes in thin plastic envelopes, a little over an inch square. On a rack with 4 other envelopes, holding spark plug no-freeze, spark plug boot no-stick, and a couple other things.

Reply to
mm

Bulb EZ light bulb lubricant works great and sure solved the problem for me. I bought two of the little tubs about 5 years ago thinking it would be hard to find later. Actually, you use so little that one tub will probably last you damned near forever.

The stuff has the appearance of silicon grease but the consistency of a soft plastic. A little goes a looooong way.

Reply to
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Or you can buy a tube of Sil-Glyde which is pretty much the same stuff and will be a lifetime supply. Unless you lose your tube like I did. :(

You will find tons of uses for the stuff; it's also good for spark plug boots, distributor rubbing blocks (assuming you have a car that still has points) packing automotive light sockets to prevent corrosion (especially if they've already corroded and you've had to wire-brush through the cad plating) and assembling calipers and wheel cylinders. Also makes a good lube for sliding brake parts. Also if you rub some on your car's door weatherstrip, your door won't freeze shut and the rubber will last a lot longer.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

I've never seen that automotive dielectric grease used on 115AC circuits before, I'll have to go look at the package regarding that issue. That stuff does rock on automotive connectors though!

I have always found that the cheapo bulbs tend to have this problem more often then the name brand bulbs. One thing to look for though is bulbs are rated for the base position when burned. I suspect that your ceiling fan uses the bulbs in a 'base up' position, or at enough of an angle to be considered base up, and the bulbs you are using are only rated for 'base down' to 'horizontal' use. This too would cause the problem you describe. I would check that before I started messing with putting any grease in there......

Hope this helps!

Reply to
jackson

Using it on AC circuits isn't a problem at all. The trick is to put it on the bulb's threads, not slather it all over the entire base.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Nate;

where can i buy Sil-Glyde ?

Reply to
FH

never heard of this before, thanks Jackson :-)

Reply to
FH

update on my bulb problem....

before i could even think of resolving this problem, a family member took a new bulb and put petroleum jelly on one of the threads, now when it starts to warm up, it stinks! i took the bulb out and cleaned it as best i could, but it still stinks (from the female threads i'm sure). what can i clean everything with to get rid of the jelly without causing problems?

this easy problem has turned into something stupid. lol

Reply to
FH

thanks a ton!

Reply to