Light bulb or switch that fades out?

I like the way the interior lights in newer cars fade to off. Out of curiosity, are those fading bulbs, or are do cars have a wired-in piece of electronics that controls the light. I'd like to emulate that effect with certain lights inside the house.

I've been googling around, probably using poor terms like fading light bulbs and light switch fade. Are there products I can buy that will do this, other than regular dimmers?

thanks, Keith

It is a feature in quality touch light dimmers. When you touch them the light ramps up to the brightness you have set, touch them again and they ramp down to off. Check Leviton, Lutron and other quality manufacturers for their higher end dimmers. You may not find them at a BORG but they are available from electrical supply houses.

Reply to
EXT

Check out Lutron Maestro

Reply to
RBM

Another more complicated, unnecessary and possibility of failure gadget added to modern vehicles! If mine ever fails (although not likely cos it's Nissan) I will promptly rewire to a straight switch. Even now in my 70s find it takes little effort to switch something on or off! Recalling one of my first technical instructors who dismissed unnecessary gadgets with "Too bloody clever by half.' And experience has shown him to be right. Your choice and mileage may differ however.

Reply to
terry

Electronics. Its called 'theater dimming' typically.

Reply to
dnoyeB

Not quite. Its a nifty feature. And since the bulbs are already powered by a FET or other electronic driver, it saves on fusing and wire gauge and can extend bulb life due ot soft starting. Not to mention that moving parts wear out. Electronic drivers rarely ever do.

Reply to
dnoyeB